Carolina Crown 2016

They were much better than I thought they'd be...I knew they'd be good, but I didn't think they'd be so close to BD...it's encouraging and I think they at least still have a chance to win...the problem is the other two corps want it just as bad. I find it so much easier to enjoy them than to enjoy BD, or Bloo, though I still really like their shows as well...all the props can kind of hide mistakes a bit easier...take away all those things and I"d be interested in seeing how it would all turn out....

I was at the theater last night. First time seeing the show NOT on a computer screen so that was pretty exciting. Love the show, think it has what it takes to win (but unfortunately don't think it will), but I do have a few quibbles.

-Wish the son was dressed differently than the rest of the guard to distinguish him from the rest of them.

-I wish there was something between the Crown set at the end and the last few bars. Right now, they're in the Crown set, we hear the *whistle* noise and they move into their last set. I wish there was a bit more transition there.

I really enjoyed the interview with Klesch and found it interesting the design team knew they were going with the current ending all along. My questions for everyone are these: why not go with that from the beginning of the season? Why give the audience a solid ending that most enjoyed, only to put in one that some have rejected because they actually enjoyed the first one? Lastly, do you think the judges are affected by the change? I'm assuming most, if not all of them saw the first ending at some point and although they're supposed to be judging the product on the field in front of them, I wonder if any compare it to the old ending and ding the production as a whole just slightly?

I understand going for a big GE bump at the end of the season. However, in the past--and last year is a great example--Crown's gone with a very obvious placeholder ending, making the new ending that much more impactful. This year was not the case and I wonder if it's costing them a bit in terms of audience and judge reception.

I think you've got some great questions but unfortunately we will probably never get the answers to them. I think the show is executed really well, however, the staging leaves something to be desired, and I don't think they use the entire field as well as they possibly could (not a lot happening on the back part of side 2 the entire show). Add to that - the Bluecoats have a monster show. While Crown's show is a very solid show, it doesn't have the GE built in that the coats do.

The interesting question for next year - how does the Bluecoats design push BD, Crown, SCV and Cadets? Does it change the conversation in terms of show design and what the other corps need to do to beat them? I think BD is best equipped to do it, but from a design philosophy standpoint, how does Crown approach laying out future programs?

I was at the theater last night. First time seeing the show NOT on a computer screen so that was pretty exciting. Love the show, think it has what it takes to win (but unfortunately don't think it will), but I do have a few quibbles.

-Wish the son was dressed differently than the rest of the guard to distinguish him from the rest of them.

-I wish there was something between the Crown set at the end and the last few bars. Right now, they're in the Crown set, we hear the *whistle* noise and they move into their last set. I wish there was a bit more transition there.

I really enjoyed the interview with Klesch and found it interesting the design team knew they were going with the current ending all along. My questions for everyone are these: why not go with that from the beginning of the season? Why give the audience a solid ending that most enjoyed, only to put in one that some have rejected because they actually enjoyed the first one? Lastly, do you think the judges are affected by the change? I'm assuming most, if not all of them saw the first ending at some point and although they're supposed to be judging the product on the field in front of them, I wonder if any compare it to the old ending and ding the production as a whole just slightly?

I understand going for a big GE bump at the end of the season. However, in the past--and last year is a great example--Crown's gone with a very obvious placeholder ending, making the new ending that much more impactful. This year was not the case and I wonder if it's costing them a bit in terms of audience and judge reception.

Crown is a very solid corps this year across all captions. It could win Saturday and many other years. I think you need to get that EFFECT scores are all subjective and it seems the judges Crowned Bloo very early on. Combine that with Bloo winning the music caption pretty consistently, and it becomes tough to beat that combo but less than a point from top and a favorable panel can close that gap very quickly.

You can't live and die by scores because the system is very subjective now. Crown could realistically win guard and brass and not win championships. That's how the numbers work now.

Edited by Tobias

This is exactly why drum corps is far superior today than yesteryear when it was just marching and maneuvering.

Its just different

Personally think some could do a little more playing and or marching and it would be for the better

Crown does. Cadets do. Others should join in lol

• Like 2

Crown is a very solid corps this year across all captions. It could win Saturday and many other years. I think you need to get that EFFECT scores are all subjective and it seems the judges Crowned Bloo very early on. Combine that with Bloo winning the music caption pretty consistently, and it becomes tough to beat that combo but less than a point from top and a favorable panel can close that gap very quickly.

Having seen in person the top three back to back for the first time this year

Crown is spectacular but a few observations from just one perspective in terms of GE

1. Brass overplays a tad pushing to a little fuzz in the top end and some of the runs are a tad muddy. I'm thinking that was just last night

2. Both coats and bd bring a lot more color to the field. Crown uniforms and even the wagon blend into the field.

3. They haven't really maxed out the ballad this year. and the new ending got probably fifty percent eye rolls around me in the stands. Its just a little flat in a year with so many soft endings

4. Haven't seen the recaps but last night I would have the corps winning guard

Having seen in person the top three back to back for the first time this year

Crown is spectacular but a few observations from just one perspective in terms of GE

1. Brass overplays a tad pushing to a little fuzz in the top end and some of the runs are a tad muddy. I'm thinking that was just last night

2. Both coats and bd bring a lot more color to the field. Crown uniforms and even the wagon blend into the field.

3. They haven't really maxed out the ballad this year. and the new ending got probably fifty percent eye rolls around me in the stands. Its just a little flat in a year with so many soft endings

4. Haven't seen the recaps but last night I would have the corps winning guard

Agreed with most of this. The problem is GE scores have larger spreads than most other captions and counts more. If GE numbers were as tight as let's say brass, the corps in top 3 would be all with a few tenths AND cadets, SCV would be 1.3-5 down from top. The numbers now make some groups look inferior than they really are because of spreads. Edited by Tobias

Just looking at the scores (and in particular how low Crown's brass and drum scores were last night) I think it's perfectly plausible to speculate that Bluecoats will not win music or visual, but still win the championship.

You can't live and die by scores because the system is very subjective now. Crown could realistically win guard and brass and not win championships. That's how the numbers work now.

Just looking at the scores (and in particular how low Crown's brass and drum scores were last night) I think it's perfectly plausible to speculate that Bluecoats will not win music or visual, but still win the championship.

Who won brass last night?