DCA “Parade of Champions” Show in Scranton on August 15th

On DCA's Facebook page, I see the show started a half-hour late due to thunderstorms.

1. Buccaneers 89.20

2. Caballeros 89.15

3. Cadets2 87.60

4. Fusion Core 85.25

5. White Sabers 84.10

6. Bushwackers 77.75

7. Skyliners 74.65

C2 - vis ens & cg

Cabs - mus ens, perc, mus eff & comm.

Bucs - brass, vis eff

Edited by drsedlak
  • Like 1

wow .05 of a point separating Bucs and Cabs. The spread between C2 and Fusion is real interesting. C2 must have kicked it up quite a bit. Wish I could have been their. But I'll see them next week in Clifton.

Edited by LucyGuy66

Haven't been working the numbers but I predict the spread from 3rd to 4thi s going to be more than what hall have posted so far.

Yep!

1. Buccaneers 89.20

2. Caballeros 89.15

3. Cadets2 87.60

4. Fusion Core 85.25

5. White Sabers 84.10

6. Bushwackers 77.75

7. Skyliners 74.65

I've just got to note - White Sabres design team: Did anyone have a concern about playing middle eastern flavored music while blindfolding a horn member and simulating a beheading or cutting of the throat? I get that when you're in your design meetings sometimes you have a narrow vision, but from my seat the first thing I thought was "too close to real life." Bad enough grandpa kicked it in Fusion Core a few years ago.....

Hold the flames, this is just an observation. If I thought it, I'm sure I was not the only one.

Cabs have come a long way. It's a completely different show when compared to Wildwood. They really are going to give the Bucs a run for their money. The preshow is awesome, especially the drum major being chained up and finally breaking free at the end. Fantastic show.

• Like 1

Just back from Scranton. Quick impressions .. . . .

Skyliners performed better than I expected. Uniforms looked sharp. Entire group seemed to be having a really good time, enjoying their work together, and friendship off the field. This should continue to blossom in their new NE PA home area.

Cadets2 continue to grow in size, guessing 56-58 brass. Solid color guard and percussion. Footwork throughout the brass and percussion still sloppy, some sets looked muddled, saw 2 instances of brass players out of step, several others phasing in and out.

Bushwackers slowly growing in size, with what looks to be 5 more brass spending most of the time off the sidelines, possibly still learning. Not a fan of the music selections. This corps is still small-ish, but the skill set there of many of the performers is high.

White Sabers. Smaller brass section that projects twice its size. Excellent percussion ensemble. Tight performance across the board. Drill design very correct for corps field presence.

Fusion Core color guard is active and looks great in the multi-color civilian attire. Big brass sound. Overall, a top tier player. I did seem to sense the brass was a tad weaker near the end of the program. But, maybe it was just the staging.

Caballeros big and tightly packed for most of the program. Major decibels, BUT, I honestly felt too much of that was coming from heavy electronic supplement, particularly during final measures of selections. Really seemed like some underlying melodies were being piped in to excess. It all sounded rich and dominant, but what came through speakers bothered me as being a little heavy-handed. Either way, powerful performance that more than satisfied the audience. Cabs could win the championship in a few weeks. They're right there!

Buccaneers seemed a little flat throughout the show. Maybe tired, maybe too many small changes inserted recently. The corps never looked to be really nailing as many components as per normal. Make no mistake, the demand they face both in brass and movement is head and shoulders above the other corps tonight. They are in constant, rapid motion while playing. I think I noticed 4-5 holes within brass and percussion. Reportedly, they are having injury problems this year. Still should be considered the favorite for the 2015 crown, but they've taken on quite a bit with this show. We'll see . . .

Grandstand was about 3/4 full, crowd a little subdued for everyone. A full Retreat (that wasn't really full at all). Guess you had to be there, but It was odd, frankly.

Sorry for any typos, etc. It's late, I'm tired, but wanted to get a little something out there. Won't study the recaps until tomorrow. Hopefully, we'll hear from others in a few hours who also attended this event.

My guess is the electronic reads had to do with how close the person was to the sideline. One corps seemed overenthusiastic with the electronics, but it wasn't the Cabs from right underneath the box.

Overall, a really strong performance for all corps involved (different shades of gray on that for a couple), and the only thing that's been settled is that a lot isn't settled at this point. have a party to go to today with family and close friends-, so I'll get up the review pronto. it should be shorter for the corps I've already seen- which means Cabs and Fusion in more detail.

• Like 1

I've just got to note - White Sabres design team: Did anyone have a concern about playing middle eastern flavored music while blindfolding a horn member and simulating a beheading or cutting of the throat? I get that when you're in your design meetings sometimes you have a narrow vision, but from my seat the first thing I thought was "too close to real life." Bad enough grandpa kicked it in Fusion Core a few years ago.....

Hold the flames, this is just an observation. If I thought it, I'm sure I was not the only one.

I do not have a concern. I'll expound on several reasons why in my review. I think it reminds me of a line from Macbeth if one has a serious concern about it..... :innocent:

My guess is the electronic reads had to do with how close the person was to the sideline. One corps seemed overenthusiastic with the electronics, but it wasn't the Cabs from right underneath the box.

Overall, a really strong performance for all corps involved (different shades of gray on that for a couple), and the only thing that's been settled is that a lot isn't settled at this point. have a party to go to today with family and close friends-, so I'll get up the review pronto. it should be shorter for the corps I've already seen- which means Cabs and Fusion in more detail.

The electronics influence has something to do with an individual's ears, too! This time, I was sitting about 8 rows below the pressbox, on the 40. Maybe after the Cabs first number, and hearing an overly full, mellowed, 70s-like Phantom Regiment richness that sounded too piped in. I found myself waiting for, and finding, same with every succeeding number. It's not a rap on the Cabs' brass players. They were big in number and solid (as always) but this night, something artificial struck me like never before. Sounded wonderful, of course, just troubling. I can see corps getting carried away with this new ability in the near future, particularly those with weaker lines. Cabs were never a weaker line that needed a boost.

I concur with poster, jent. The 'throat-slitting' act by the other corps was something I was unhappy with, given the times. I regretted having watched it. At no time did I catch its significance to the story, nor think of that component as taken from a fine piece of ancient literature. Curiously, as they carried the body to the sidelines, a real ambulance truck past the goal line switched on it's emergency lights! I didn't enjoy that segment one bit, and would prefer it be replaced with some other form of physical conquer. Horrible imagery to this senior citizen. I'll try to tune it out next viewing.

Edited by Fred Windish