Equal Advantage Scoring

Which was exactly my point a few posts up! It speaks volumes that as close as the Cabs were to the Bucs, there is absolutely nobody questioning the placements.

I thought the placements were all correct. How the overall rankings worked out by looking at the caption scores makes no sense to me.

Ah, what do I know? :confused:

Edited by onthe50

Actually a good example where a particular judge may or may not have provided the best possible number. As per the recap for Scranton, while I can possibly agree with the ordinal for the guard caption, it appears that his number determined greatly the outcome of the show. I have seen most of the these corps at least once this year. And the top 3 guards have been super tight. While not at Scranton, I can't see such a huge spread considering the visual and visual effect numbers do not necessarily agree. Bad number management maybe?? And being only down by .05 had his number being somewhat close if not weighted equally to that of the visual and visual ex caption, Cabs would have won. Based on his number you'd think Cabs guard wasn't present at the show.. which I find hard to believe. If they do reexamine numbers at the end of the show, I don't see that this caption was judged equally. Just MPOV!

Remember judge your sheet. If I recall, C2 had a decent spread in Bucs guard at downingtown. So the spread in guard looking at that sheet alone could be justified.

I was shaking my head at this one. So the Bucs are closer to the White Sabers than they are to the Cabs in Percussion? Don't count on that holding up people.

Bucs may have had an off night. Cabs may have caught fire. On any given day...

• Like 1

I don't know about you, but I recall Statesmen having a pretty good percussion section.

Don't use logic its never accepted when his team loses.

• Like 2

Here's a follow-up question . . . .

How does the Chief Judge enter into the new format?

In other words, if we assume he/she witnessed a violation during a performance (yes, like 2014) does he/she immediately write it down, record it someplace, then later have the option to erase that determination after thinking everything over?

Note: I believe Tom Argy demonstrated high integrity and great courage in holding to what he believed, despite knowing the huge ramifications. I hope he's available to serve in the same role this year.

Edited by Fred Windish
  • Like 1

White Sabers drum line and front ensemble are very good. I would not doubt seeing them in the top 5 this year. These kids play all year long in winter percussion performance groups from NJ to Ohio.

VOReason I am sick of you having you say something negative every time someone mentions the Empire Statesmen. There was a time that your beloved team could not come within 10 points of the Statesmen. That is when I was there. You had to be pretty darned good to beat us back then.

If the Statesmen were so bad, why then at this time corps are calling ES staffers to come in and help them get better?

• Like 2

White Sabers drum line and front ensemble are very good. I would not doubt seeing them in the top 5 this year. These kids play all year long in winter percussion performance groups from NJ to Ohio.

VOReason I am sick of you having you say something negative every time someone mentions the Empire Statesmen. There was a time that your beloved team could not come within 10 points of the Statesmen. That is when I was there. You had to be pretty darned good to beat us back then.

If the Statesmen were so bad, why then at this time corps are calling ES staffers to come in and help them get better?

Sorry about that...really. I just couldn't resist. I think I may need help...LOL! BTW, for those who were in Scranton...anyone thinking the Cabs should have taken it?

"EAS" is currently being used in some form in most every major pageantry association, BOA, DCI, DCA, WGI, etc..

Everything is "the same" as before, in that the judge records her comments during and just after each performance, and then computes subcaption numbers using the criteria reference for that particular system. The recordings are posted on Dropbox for the corps staffs just after their performance.

Depending on the event, scores may be held for different lengths of time, from the entire contest to groups of four-or-so. It's all about the ability to reward groups within scoring "neighborhoods." Believe it or not, all the units and not just the "winner" want an accurate score based on the elements of the system.

For example, at the Clifton show this weekend, scores will be held for review for the corps that appear before intermission, and then the corps appearing after the break will be held together.

At first, it may appear that this practice could be manipulative, but actually it is much more equitable to all concerned. Perhaps the best innovation in this activity in 15 years - no "prejudging" needed!

P.S. To my knowledge their has never been a system or organization that requires the judge to compute and communicate a numerical score on their recording. There are several good reasons for that . . .

Edited by Schnitzel