DCA '15, 35 corps, great performances, not-so-great attendance

This.

I'm having a hard time imagining a scenario in which the all-age corps would be in peak... "championship"... form so early in their season.

Start mid October rather than mid Nov. Not that hard to figure out

Start mid October rather than mid Nov. Not that hard to figure out

A lot easier said than done, with band-season schedules and other things. Like people getting a few weekends off to have a life.

• Like 1

A lot easier said than done, with band-season schedules and other things. Like people getting a few weekends off to have a life.

Like I said it's going to take some forward thinking people who are not stuck in the past .

All this over 4000 front side seats at Championships that we cant seem to fill.

How has it been done before?

Vince made sure to invite everyone and was RELENTLESS about making it so. He made it a PERSONAL invitation and people came in droves. Biggest crowd in 20 years. Had to flip the field to try to accomodate it. Say what you want....he made it a personal thing because he said he would do something and DELIVERED....he said "I'll give you the biggest crowd in 20 years". Vince staked his reputation on it. 9,500 people. Hadn't seen that in the 20 years before, Haven't had one that big in the 20 years since.

When Tom and Donna made MiniCorps a "must see" event, people that used to blow it off or avoid it on purpose now came EARLY on purpose. Hype, enthusiasm and a personal invitation. Free wasn't the draw. (Trust me, money gets spent at MiniCorps.) If it was all about "free", it would have been packed every year prior. It wasnt. It became an event to see, be seen and not to miss....and it was more a social event (!!!) than a contest. Awesome.

These are successes that can be (and really must be) duplicated.

Who will stake their reputation on 4,032 people at DCA 2016?

I'll do it.

Edited by wishbonecav

Like I said it's going to take some forward thinking people who are not stuck in the past .

Forward thinking or not, Ed... a late July/early August championship for all-age corps is not a good idea.

Never has been, never will be.

Unless someone invents a seven-day weekend, all-age corps, by their very definition, will need to stick to that weekend-only schedule... and there simply are not enough weekends... and in particular not enough performance opportunities these days... for all of those corps to get into anything resembling peak championship form by late July/early August, even if the first show was Memorial Day weekend, like it was back in the day. Even if corps started rehearsals in late September/early October, like many did back in the day.

I marched during those days... with a corps that won DCA championships.. and I can tell you that by late July/early August, we were nowhere near peak form. Even with a weeknight rehearsal during the summer (Wednesdays in our case) to go along with the weekend stuff. Even with the talent level and dedication level we had... and both levels were considerable.

Forward thinking or not, Ed... a late July/early August championship for all-age corps is not a good idea.

Never has been, never will be.

Unless someone invents a seven-day weekend, all-age corps, by their very definition, will need to stick to that weekend-only schedule... and there simply are not enough weekends... and in particular not enough performance opportunities these days... for all of those corps to get into anything resembling peak championship form by late July/early August, even if the first show was Memorial Day weekend, like it was back in the day. Even if corps started rehearsals in late September/early October, like many did back in the day.

I marched during those days... with a corps that won DCA championships.. and I can tell you that by late July/early August, we were nowhere near peak form. Even with a weeknight rehearsal during the summer (Wednesdays in our case) to go along with the weekend stuff. Even with the talent level and dedication level we had... and both levels were considerable.

You cannot tell me if DCI and DCA gets the money right that with the design staffs and instructional staffs we have TODAY cannot collectively sit down and figure out how to get a DCA corps ready from Mid Oct to Mid Aug in championship caliber!

These staffs think and teach on a whole other field than you did back in the day. As I said we need forward thinking. Not rinse , repeat , and expect a different result.

You cannot tell me if DCI and DCA gets the money right that with the design staffs and instructional staffs we have TODAY cannot collectively sit down and figure out how to get a DCA corps ready from Mid Oct to Mid Aug in championship caliber!

These staffs think and teach on a whole other field than you did back in the day. As I said we need forward thinking. Not rinse , repeat , and expect a different result.

Could we do it? Probably. Would we want to? No. Absolutely not.

• Like 1

Could we do it? Probably. Would we want to? No. Absolutely not.

It's not a question of WANT to, it may come down to HAVE to

It's not a question of WANT to, it may come down to HAVE to

Why?

No, really. Why? DCA corps are not, under any circumstances, going to allow championships to be held on any weekday, let alone a weekday in August, in Indianapolis. No drum corps is going to start with membership day/rehearsals before Thanksgiving weekend, for the simple reason that most competitive marching band circuits don't end until early or mid-November.

You're trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist, or are trying to use a sledgehammer instead of a fly-swatter to kill the fly.

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 4

Why?

No, really. Why? y.

MONEY!