Cadets 2016

Tobias

Tanglewood experience last night was phenomenal.

Mike Martin (Cavies brass guy and alum of Spirit and PR, plus son of Freddie) is also a principal trumpeter for BSO/Pops. The medley he wrote and which the professionals played (The Boxer, Elsa's Procession, Rocky Point Holiday) had various sections of the audience screaming for more, particularly when he had written in the Cadets' usual tag.

Even with Kendall doing the hire wire act two stories up on that podium perch on the center pole where she and other DMs conducted, it was a great evening all around with a truly large and spirited SRO crowd.

If all these Cadet pages aren't enough, The Boston Crusaders thread seems to talk a lot about Cadets the last few pages.

So they restaged a lot of the ballad. Looks much better, well, it will once it is clean. I'm going back for ensemble around 8 tonight. Looking forward to it.

Today's rehearsal felt lIke old day cadets. This corps has that sort of vibe.

Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 1

This is like the old days... drive all night, 90 minutes on the "floor", then a 12 hour day. Yikes.

Hope it brings those old days great results.

Tanglewood last night with the Cadets was long overdue.

Back around '84 David Welch (RIP), Cadet mellophone (The Middle Voice) and a participant in several Tanglewood Institute programs had arranged some time there but busses broke down and it never happened. He would have continued to be quite proud of them there last night.

Tanglewood programs alums also have included to Cadets alums, Jay and Ron Michalak, trumpeters and alums of Marian Catholic band programs. Jay now teaches bands and corps in Canada. Dr. Ron fixes the broken bones up in New Hampshire and a few Cadets when the corps has been near Boston.

If all these Cadet pages aren't enough, The Boston Crusaders thread seems to talk a lot about Cadets the last few pages.

The only Cadets talk in the Bac thread is you and your agenda attempting to make it seem like Cadets are bleeding visual staff to Boston en masse.

It's funny, I was just at the Cadets visual rehearsal ten minutes ago and all the techs and caption head and designers were efficiently and quickly restaging the ballad.

It's amazing how reality doesn't always line up with the rumor mill.

Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 2

The only Cadets talk in the Bac thread is you and your agenda attempting to make it seem like Cadets are bleeding visual staff to Boston en masse.

Yes, my bad. I was looking at some comments that were made about both corps on the contests threads, was interrupted, and then went back to the computer. Sorry it irks you..

Boston now has had 4 of the usual Cadets viz staffers from the past few years on staff or as guest clinicians this season..

Don't let the heat get to you..

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 1

Good change of pace today I guess but between parades, band clinics and special events, I wish GH would schedule longer blocks of free days early and mid season for Cadets to implement changes and clean. I think BD has had like 2 shows so far.

Back in the "Dynasty Days" of the '80's, Cadets would do as many as 42 contests per season. Current numbers are a dozen fewer these seasons.

Parades were more common, clinics were just beginning and were principally just watching part of rehearsal. But in those days, the number of appearences also contributed into the DCI disbursement allotment and thus helped to pay the bills.

Today's programs, the number of one-and-done participants, the high cost of tour fees for all corps, and the distance between shows today are regularly more national and sweeping. The local (NY/NJ/PA)contests are history compared to past numbers. Convoy costs were a lot smaller then than the Winnebegos, staff busses, and trio of tractor trailers today. All comes down to training time, pressures, and travel times being different. But Cadets do benefit from a larger fanbase with all of today's appearences, sometimes the only show members of the audience ever get to see..

Edited by xandandl

Thanks George! I'm close enough myself to take a peek at ensemble this evening. But I'm with you; Cadets are making changes quickly and its showing in the score. I have said all along the Cadets have the vehicle to take this show as far as they want.

• Like 1

From George's FB

UNIFORMS

There are some hot rumors that the Cadets are going to change uniforms mid season. Makes sense I guess?? We did it once so we will do it again !!!!

Some folks; totally in the NOT KNOWING, claim that they have empirical evidence that we are changing outfits. They claim I have said so. They claim I said so in a lot in Lynn.

They claim wrong !!!

Folks ... how boring would it be to do the same thing two years in a row.
Plus, what would we change to ?

C2 Blue ?

The Traditional Cadet Uniform ???

A Body Leotard?

If we were changing ...

Would we have given the maroon to C2?
Would we have added all of the statue embellishments to the black?
Would we really do another change in mid season? Why ???
We had a reason for the big one last year. The NEON.
We had a plan, whether you liked it or not we had a plan.

This time ???? no Plan.

Is it possible ... just possible ...

That some folks enjoy keeping people distracted and argumentative???? or that they want to be at the center of attention with information regardless of bow correct or incorrect it may be ??

What can I tell you ....

If I was a betting man .... I would expect to see the Cadets in black for the 2016 season. They look good. The contrast works as we had hoped. The plumes and sashes make a huge difference, and we are and will be ... grateful to DeMoulin for the work they have done to being both corps to where they are.

Perhaps we can put the uniform rumor to bed?

• Like 3