Madison Scout dad goes all out to help daughter! Well done, Dad&#

What an incredible story! Kudos to the dad for making the choice that he did. Nice tie to Madison as well.

I actually once saw a competition high school marching band with a blind marcher. From the stands, I couldn't figure out why one student had a guide behind them, dressed up in uniform, but not playing an instrument. This guide's only role was to hold the student's shoulders and help the student get from dot to dot. I later found out that the student they were guiding was blind.

In both of these instances (this one and the story above), I can't even imagine the challenge...

Over the years, particularly during marching band season, I have witnessed a number of members who have not let their challenges handicap their participation. Watch along the sidelines, in the front ensemble, in front of the mics many units use and you will see them. Sometimes they have the assistance of other students, sometimes family. Almost always with the welcoming support of the other MMs and clever design staffs/faculty. It's a growth experience not only for the individual member but for the unit as a whole.

Former corps member - win

IT worker - win

Drives a Subaru - win

Doing this for his daughter - win for all

Seriously a great story thanks for sharing.... (OK I match the first 3 wins, too bad we don't have kids)

I actually once saw a competition high school marching band with a blind marcher. From the stands, I couldn't figure out why one student had a guide behind them, dressed up in uniform, but not playing an instrument. This guide's only role was to hold the student's shoulders and help the student get from dot to dot. I later found out that the student they were guiding was blind.

A competing Ohio band, Tri Valley, has two blind members this year.

And they don't compete, but there is also the Ohio State School for the Blind marching band: