Why is this HS Band show better designed than half the 2015 top 12?

Answer to the subject line. It's not. Sorry. Not being a drum corps homer. I spent many more years in marching bands than in drum corps. But marching band just isn't at the same level as the majority of top 12 DCI corps. I do appreciate, though, that this band is great...for a HS band.

Nicely put.

• Like 1

Following on what others have said, that Broken Arrow's design staff are in fact drum corps people after all, I would add that there is no reason to believe that a drum corps show would be better designed than a high school band show, given the same designer. A designer should always deliver their best, and since perceptions of quality will be based partly on concept, and there is huge variety in concept based on planning conversations with directors, etc. one should expect the resulting quality differences to be distributed pretty randomly between hs and dc.

Thus, your favorite mb show will likely be 'better' (IYO) than some top dc show designs.

However, the higher demand of drum corps is a double-edged sword: The performances are more impressive, but the higher skills allow for the expression of more abstract, complex ideas that many will not like. But in a 'that's over my head' kind of way.

I started out agreeing with your post but, the longer I read, the less I knew what the heck you're trying to say.

Drum corps is better than band, period. The rest is all argument and we all know it.

Offered in discussion of:

Top instructors and designers AVOIDING DCI?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMxTzPmKedg

I'm thinking specifically of this program in comparison to: 2015 Phantom Regiment, 2015 Cadets, 2015 Cavaliers, 2015 etc...

I'd (personally) put BD, Bluecoats, Blue Knights etc above this one in terms of design

Ya' know, George, I've watched a bunch of shows and I just don't get your allusion that Top Instructors are "avoiding" DCI.

I wonder (worry) if the Top Designers are infiltrating DCI and spreading WGI and DCA pablum on the "junior" leagues of the activity.

• Like 1

I've had the distinct privilege to be educated, this year, about the Midwest HS marching band circuit through the studied eyes of a member here, who has shown me how distinctly important design is to the whole competitive marching band circuit and how that fact distinguishes the circuits.

I've seen some amazing bands and amazing styles; YouTube has only made it easier. IMO, I'm convinced, still, that nothing approaches drum corps in the level of execution that it attains. Nothing.

To be concerned that DCI might be losing designers to HS band doesn't ring with me. I'd much more expect to see drum corps infiltrating the design of HS Marching Band, and I think the evidence that I'm right is abundant.

• Like 1

Ya' know, George, I've watched a bunch of shows and I just don't get your allusion that Top Instructors are "avoiding" DCI.

I wonder (worry) if the Top Designers are infiltrating DCI and spreading WGI and DCA pablum on the "junior" leagues of the activity.

They are. They also use the BOA bands as test tube subjects at times...

I was just honestly taken aback by last seasons (several) weak designs in the top group of corps (IMO of course)

And hitting the indoor circuit and a couple band regionals - just some very creative stuff going on...

Mostly I'm trying to stimulate some conversation of another sort. How the designers and instructors move between the two activities

Many of the WGI folks avoid DCI. I do know that for a fact.