Santa Clara Vanguard to March 2017 Rose Parade

Should be an exciting time. While I do not have info, I get the sense the organization is looking to step it up a bit this time around versus the 2004 TOR group I participated in both in size (in 2004 we marched 205 +/- split nearly 50/50 between current members and alumni) and quality (no mixed key hornline which was a pain to tune, percussion technique, modern marching style and protocol.) Hopefully the org will reach back to older alums to a certain degree perhaps with the understanding that they will have to "totally get with the program" (really good physical condition, modern equipment, no "old" baggage, etc.) if they want to make the cut. The Macy's Day parade is about 2.5 miles long and mostly flat while the Rose Parade is about 6+ when you add in the W. Del Mar Blvd. hill (aka the 210 Freeway overpass) all the pageantry groups have to climb to get to S. Orange Grove Blvd. where they merge with the floats...not exactly a cake walk. I had a work colleague who was part of a large spectator party on Orange Grove tell me later that we were the only group to stop at that intersection, hurry up/dress up the block then step off and play full out, waking everyone up in the process.

Mahalo!

When we marched Macy's last year, we had the option to play Bb, or G. and were told our request would try to be honored if they could get the horn. In many cases they borrowed horns from a few corps in the area so everyone got a Bb. Some old guys bought a used G to use, or borrowed one if they could. We were told to start walking and get ready for the parade, and given the schedule months out to make sure we could prep our bodies for it. I'm sure Macy's was plenty for some though.

Most exciting ... wish the "Macy's Super Corps" would re-appear some year ... quite a hallmark when the "sound" hit Herald Square ...

:-)

Was my favorite part of the parades the couple years they did that. I marched in the Macy's Parade with m/high school my frosh year in 1990, and my wife marched in the Macy's Parade with the Drum Corps All-Stars the next year in 1991 (we didn't really know each other then). The stories I've heard about some of those parades are awesome, and I wish someone could financially back that and make it happen again (yet another reason why Star of Indiana & Bill Cool were super awesome).

• 2 months later...

It's deja vu all over again.

• Like 1