2015 DCI DVD/Blu-Ray to be Top-12 Only

The less folk who buy the Blu-ray/DVDs, the less prize money there will be... no winners, lots of losers.

Less posturing and more cooperation. Get it sorted!

I think there's either more to that story or you're relating it incorrectly. It is *never* on the band director to secure synch rights for a circuit or production company. In fact, the rights holders won't even discuss those rights unless the band director is a producer for the proposed media. That's why it's absurd to consider a rule requiring bands/corps to "be able to secure synch rights".

Though I suppose it's not beyond the realm of possibility that circut's administration said that to make the parents go away, even if it's a rediculous thing to say.

Legally, you're correct.

However, there are are circuits where if you want to participate in Finals it is required that the school/competing unit secure all necessary rights or else they are ineligible to compete: at least that was policy in the past. Now-a-days I think because rights issues have gotten so nutty smaller circuits have just stopped professionally videoing groups and just require the arrange/performance rights.

I think there's either more to that story or you're relating it incorrectly. It is *never* on the band director to secure synch rights for a circuit or production company. In fact, the rights holders won't even discuss those rights unless the band director is a producer for the proposed media. That's why it's absurd to consider a rule requiring bands/corps to "be able to secure synch rights".

Though I suppose it's not beyond the realm of possibility that circut's administration said that to make the parents go away, even if it's a rediculous thing to say.

Also, you're likely correct that circuit admin. said that to make parents go away; technically in this specific instance the circuit had nothing to do with the video production company other than giving them permission to video and telling groups to secure necessary rights if needed.

Legally, you're correct.

However, there are are circuits where if you want to participate in Finals it is required that the school/competing unit secure all necessary rights or else they are ineligible to compete: at least that was policy in the past. Now-a-days I think because rights issues have gotten so nutty smaller circuits have just stopped professionally videoing groups and just require the arrange/performance rights.

Oh, sure, but you're talking about arranging and performance rights. A circuit *cannot* require a band to secure synch rights. The rights don't work that way.

No he's right. the circuit doesn't claim ownership of the product, so the video company has to get the information from the director. if not provided, no dvd.

Oh, sure, but you're talking about arranging and performance rights. A circuit *cannot* require a band to secure synch rights. The rights don't work that way.

no but the dvd company can. so the kids perform, but there's no professionally released recording of it

• Like 1

No he's right. the circuit doesn't claim ownership of the product, so the video company has to get the information from the director. if not provided, no dvd.

Information, yes...absolutely. But the bands cannot secure the synch rights themselves. The form the bands fill out is absolutely essential, and should be required (and is). Bands should have that information on had before stepping on the field at the start of the season (unless they add or change something, onvioulsy).

Information, yes...absolutely. But the bands cannot secure the synch rights themselves. The form the bands fill out is absolutely essential, and should be required (and is). Bands should have that information on had before stepping on the field at the start of the season (unless they add or change something, onvioulsy).

some do if they use original compositions.

some do if they use original compositions.

The only reason a band would secure synch rights is if they were producing thier own media. The composer has nothing to do with it. Now, having said that, some composers grand synch rights automatically to the producers of media or the circut the band using that composition competes in, but there is still paperwork to that effect, as a convenience to the producers. It's certainly not required. I've dealt with this before.