So you want a job in drum corps?

Troopers are hiring.

"Tour manager" on the one hand sounds like a great job. Get paid to go on a DCI tour? On the other hand, it sounds like a good fit only for the kind of person who loves to solve about 147 crises per day. After a summer of this, I'll bet you could size up and break down a school facilities director at 100 yards.

Still, a great gig for the right kind of person.

How often do these kind of positions open? Is turnover high among tour managers? Or do people stay in these jobs for decades? And what makes someone successful at it?

Troopers are hiring.

"Tour manager" on the one hand sounds like a great job. Get paid to go on a DCI tour? On the other hand, it sounds like a good fit only for the kind of person who loves to solve about 147 crises per day. After a summer of this, I'll bet you could size up and break down a school facilities director at 100 yards.

Still, a great gig for the right kind of person.

How often do these kind of positions open? Is turnover high among tour managers? Or do people stay in these jobs for decades? And what makes someone successful at it?

You used the word "hiring" ... Troopers didn't. Is it even a paid position?

My son's band director apparently did a year as tour manager, but I believe he said it was as a volunteer.

There are a number of positions in most corps that are paid. You just gotta know which ones those are and which corps are looking.

For the work required, it's not enough $. It also requires someone with a great disposition to take the job.

I would imagine it requires a lot of doggedness to chase down school-district points of contact who are 1) hard to find during the summer and 2) not really interested in whatever you might think is urgent, as well as endless flexibility to change the plan in mid-stream. You'd have to learn how to ignore frustration and keep pushing forward.

I would imagine it requires a lot of doggedness to chase down school-district points of contact who are 1) hard to find during the summer and 2) not really interested in whatever you might think is urgent, as well as endless flexibility to change the plan in mid-stream. You'd have to learn how to ignore frustration and keep pushing forward.

And not scream obscenities at the kids in the corps or the show workers.

Sorry, was having a flashback.