Free Players Drum Corps

Is there any better reason to be a fan of drum corps than this?

In this crazy world, this is the heartwarming story of the day, and it's our great activity that brings it.

Let's all get behind this effort and help these special needs kids feel the "Roar of the DCI Crowd"

https://www.facebook.com/freeplayersdrumcorps/

Edit: If anyone can find a way to post the video here, please do.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 2

I can't wait to see them. Will they be in Allentown again? They were a HUGE hit last year at DCI East. We get so wrapped up in competition and numbers and what judge didn't score my favorite corps appropriately that we forget that music is an art form that has so many purposes -- from entertainment to ceremonial, religious to spiritual, therapeutic, its role in media, and much more.

• Like 1

In these days of elitism when I've seen people not even show up to their seats until a top 5 corps is on, it's great to remember that drum corps can be an inclusive activity that everyone can enjoy participating in.

It brings tears to my eyes that these kids get to do this.

The Free Players were the direct inspiration for the creation of another group, one I'm especially interested in because the organization running it is the home of my only sibling, my deaf and blind brother. The following article just came out today.

http://www.saukvalley.com/2016/06/16/banding-together-meet-petunia-city-stix/arjt4q6/

There was quite an outpouring when I requested sticks for the new ensemble. I'm now working on getting them some drums and handheld percussion. (There are two groups; one a marching ensemble which is playing on utility buckets, and one an indoor drum circle-type African ensemble where anyone can join in playing something.)

We're looking for some old XL carriers from the 1990s, what you see in the article's photos. if anyone knows where some might be hiding. If so, please contact me at boomike@aol.com. Thank you.

• Like 3

The Free Players were the direct inspiration for the creation of another group, one I'm especially interested in because the organization running it is the home of my only sibling, my deaf and blind brother. The following article just came out today.

http://www.saukvalley.com/2016/06/16/banding-together-meet-petunia-city-stix/arjt4q6/

There was quite an outpouring when I requested sticks for the new ensemble. I'm now working on getting them some drums and handheld percussion. (There are two groups; one a marching ensemble which is playing on utility buckets, and one an indoor drum circle-type African ensemble where anyone can join in playing something.)

We're looking for some old XL carriers from the 1990s, what you see in the article's photos. if anyone knows where some might be hiding. If so, please contact me at boomike@aol.com. Thank you.

Mike, if you're behind this...I love you, man.

Mike, if you're behind this...I love you, man.

Many people are behind this. I'm just the one that has a few connections to help them get some of the stuff they need.