About Cavaliers new uniforms, from the source

BD unis for years have been kind of bleh- this years is probably the worst. Don't get me started on their guard uniforms typically year in and out. I do, on the other hand, like Crowns unis for what is going on the last 4 seasons. Guard uni this year is cool too. One of my favorite guard unis : Cavaliers 2008.

Those 2008 and 2014 Cavies guard uniforms were amazing.

Noticed that the assistant director, dance captain and assistant choreographer on that show was the great Susan Stroman, director/choreographer of "The Producers" among many other shows. My daughter-in-law worked with her as an Asst stage manager on "Big Fish", another show that sadly did not last.

Also see Scott Ellis in the cast...he is quite a name today on the Broadway scene, but not as a performer. He is a big cheese at the Roundabout Theater company. My daughter-in-law worked with him on "People in the Picture", a Roundabout production with a limited run.

As for Cesario using that credit...in that world, a credit is a credit, so as long as it is true, he is fine to quote it.

Agree a credit is a credit, but the way his credentials are often listed one could get the impression that they were a bit more extensive.

In reality, I feel he is a marching band uniform / costume designer that also has designed for other performance organizations, including some professional productions.

Agree a credit is a credit, but the way his credentials are often listed one could get the impression that they were a bit more extensive.

In reality, I feel he is a marching band uniform / costume designer that also has designed for other performance organizations, including some professional productions.

He designed for theatrical productions before he got involved with band and corps uniforms. What really propelled him forward with the pageantry world was developing the line of uniforms for FJM that could be thrown in a washer.

He designed for theatrical productions before he got involved with band and corps uniforms. What really propelled him forward with the pageantry world was developing the line of uniforms for FJM that could be thrown in a washer.

I thought he [Cesario] did more than just using machine washable fabric (although our uniforms were 'dry clean only' it never stopped the uniform ladies from tossing them in washer. But that isn't important right now.)

I thought he was responsible for the sort of overalls-type trousers with the upper top so it looked better with all the movement now done by the performers.

BD unis for years have been kind of bleh- this years is probably the worst. Don't get me started on their guard uniforms typically year in and out. I do, on the other hand, like Crowns unis for what is going on the last 4 seasons. Guard uni this year is cool too. One of my favorite guard unis : Cavaliers 2008.

Agreed

Also a lot of carry over in uniforms to other corps with the half cape, the mismatched sleeves, the fringe and massive plume feathers. Not everything works for every show or corps.

This years BD reminds me of New Romantic /New Wave bands of the 80s which considering their age, isn’t a reach

Adam_and_the_Ants_Prince_Charming.jpg

I often hear it said that Michael Cesario has 'Broadway Costume Design' credentials & was curious what shows he designed for. Google led me to the 'Internet Broadway Database' (ibdb.com. Indeed he does have Broadway Costume credit - one show ('Musical Chairs') back in 1980 that closed after 14 performances.

He has one main broadway credit as a lead designer. But there's no idea how many he worked on as an assistant or associate, which you sometimes are not listed for in the playbill. Which is better employment than being the lead. He used to be the chair of the design dept at Purchase College, which is a pretty substantial place to go for theatre design. (lots of awards winners of tony, obie, and other regionals come from that program) You dont get hired to teach there unless you've done amazing things with amazing people at the top of the entertainment food chain. He's also worked for the Alley (houston), Pittsburgh Public, and a ton of other large regional theatres. Broadway may be the most celebrated theatre group, but it is only a small portion of theatre being produced in the states.

Edited by C.Holland
  • Like 1

I thought he [Cesario] did more than just using machine washable fabric (although our uniforms were 'dry clean only' it never stopped the uniform ladies from tossing them in washer. But that isn't important right now.)

I thought he was responsible for the sort of overalls-type trousers with the upper top so it looked better with all the movement now done by the performers.

You are correct. Those overalls were often washed more often than the tops, as corps would do warm-up stretches and other physical warm-ups in them, prior to putting on the tops.

Interesting to see his explanation. I'm curious what his thought process was for some other uniforms. To chime in on the Cavaliers' uniforms, I feel like its too busy on the field, with the guard also wearing the newsprint (for some time). The guard doesn't stand out from the corps proper, and vice versa.

If they really wanted the newsprint idea, i think doing the newsprint look but on \green material would have been an interesting idea.

i think the idea was that everyone starts out the same. corps and guard.