Dark Horse

I actually don't think that academy will be 12th in finals. I think they will beat someone in finals. I'm calling 10th or 11th. I do think Boston is out. The show falls pretty short I'm afraid. In my opinion The Academy has one of the better total shows this year. Crown, bloo, devs, Cavs, past those Corps, I think the academy programming is put together better than the rest, to me it's up at that top level of design/programming (not talking about difficulty, just inception and follow through). I like the total involvement and complete story/emotional journey that they give us. Hands down top tier design, and designed to compete with the talent they have. A perfect combo. I don't see that in most of the other finalist programs. The total package it seems, is present with the Academy this year. I truly think it will get rewarded! If phantom regiment did this show with these music selections( granted the difficulty would be raised a bit) The crowd would be in the palm of their hands. And everyone would be talking about them. Unfortunately I don't know of many people talking about the other perceived finalists, like they do the academy. It is something to talk about. So many memorable ideas! And that speaks volumes. We need more corps with this kind of totally thought out programming. Most corps leave me scratching my head in wonder at the misses In programming choices. Don't get me wrong they are-Great drum corps... But not great shows, academy is almost the opposite. A growing young drum corps with one of my favorite shows this decade. Probably the only goosebumps I really get from anyone this year. And that is a result of total programming, that is cohesive and engaging from beginning/middle and all the way to the end. Go academy. Get clean clean clean. The next 20 days should be super exciting. And everyone knows the show alone won't get you in. It's merely the vehicle you drive to finals. How well you drive is just as important!

Excellent observations Lone Ranger. Enjoyed your speculation with what "Phantom" could do with "Drum Corps Bride". The Academy has come into its OWN. Corps Director Mark Richardson has stated from the get go that The Academy would not try and follow any particular musical style/formula that would pigeon hole/limit the Corps. The last three shows: "Pianoman" in 2013, Vanity Fair in 2014 and "A Step in Time" in 2015, along with this years brilliantly written and crafted production of "Drum Corpse Bride"... beginning with the title alone, lol, reflects the diversity in programming he's championed. Watching the Corps and show development with each performance is a pure joy and so satisfying. The way the audience has embraced THE ACADEMY is so heart felt and appreciated, especially I am sure, by it's members. It's entertainment value, priceless.

I actually don't think that academy will be 12th in finals. I think they will beat someone in finals. I'm calling 10th or 11th. I do think Boston is out. The show falls pretty short I'm afraid. In my opinion The Academy has one of the better total shows this year. Crown, bloo, devs, Cavs, past those Corps, I think the academy programming is put together better than the rest, to me it's up at that top level of design/programming (not talking about difficulty, just inception and follow through). I like the total involvement and complete story/emotional journey that they give us. Hands down top tier design, and designed to compete with the talent they have. A perfect combo. I don't see that in most of the other finalist programs. The total package it seems, is present with the Academy this year. I truly think it will get rewarded! If phantom regiment did this show with these music selections( granted the difficulty would be raised a bit) The crowd would be in the palm of their hands. And everyone would be talking about them. Unfortunately I don't know of many people talking about the other perceived finalists, like they do the academy. It is something to talk about. So many memorable ideas! And that speaks volumes. We need more corps with this kind of totally thought out programming. Most corps leave me scratching my head in wonder at the misses In programming choices. Don't get me wrong they are-Great drum corps... But not great shows, academy is almost the opposite. A growing young drum corps with one of my favorite shows this decade. Probably the only goosebumps I really get from anyone this year. And that is a result of total programming, that is cohesive and engaging from beginning/middle and all the way to the end. Go academy. Get clean clean clean. The next 20 days should be super exciting. And everyone knows the show alone won't get you in. It's merely the vehicle you drive to finals. How well you drive is just as important!

I've got to second this. And as a guy who lives in the Greater Boston Area, it KILLS me to say it - but I don't see Quixotic as Top 12. I saw them live at BU at the beginning of the month and streaming since. And to me it's not coming together - those windmills spinning and not spinning at what seems like random times - it's diving me a little nuts. The narration feels heavy handed. Alas, I loved Conquest and hoped it would be a stepping stone to higher placement this year.

I've been watching The Academy and I think that Bride is the right show at the right stage of the organization's ability. It's like managing a prize fighter and picking the best opponents as the fighter gets better and better. And while some say Bride is not hard enough, I'm not sure that will hurt them even if it's true - with the emphasis in judging moving to increasingly subjective GE categories. I think that content such as complicated musical passages, fast and complex marching, and simultaneous demands are not being rewarded on the scorecards as in the past. I'm guessing Bride has the right balance, and the corps talent pool is really delivering this year. They pass the "goose bump" test with me every time I see the show. Just my $.02 - and I'm not sure MHO is worth even that!

• Like 1

I think that content such as complicated musical passages, fast and complex marching, and simultaneous demands are not being rewarded on the scorecards as in the past.

As a now six-year fan of drum corps, that makes me sad. And if true, shouldn't everyone just start doing easier shows?