Photography from the stands

So, ATL update:

I got turned around at the gate with the 70-200. Had to take it back to the car, but managed to get both bodies, and a couple other lenses in.

Hoping for better luck at NightBEAT and the rest of the shows I'm going to this week.

Thanks for the other tips. Hopefully I'll have something to show for it at the end of the day. We'll see. I'm 11 rows back on the 59, but the longest zoom I've got is the 18-55 kit lens.

I'm not surprised. Even mid-sized zoom lenses like yours have been intermittently problematic at big DCI shows for years, though as you might imagine, enforcement is very inconsistent, so I have no doubt that many other people have gotten away with it many other times. It comes down to who processes you at the entrance. The fear is a combination of competition with credentialed pros in selling photos and bothering other fans. At one time I remember a rule about the maximum length of zoom lenses when extended... 5", 6"? But again, many people get them in anyway. What you can try doing probably with greater success is taking in a wider-angle zoom lens that maxes out under 100mm and doesn't extend far, and then use photo editing software to crop in.

One thing they may not have figured out yet is that most relatively recent DSLRs take great videos. Smaller cameras take very good ones. Cell phones take decent ones. Let's try banning cell phones and see how far we get.

These are some amazing photos DCI office might even want to buy! You have the gift of an eye. Thank you.

Thanks! I appreciate the compliment quite a lot! I still have a lot to learn, but I think I'm getting the hang of it. Good glass definitely helps.

I just uploaded the rest of the good stuff from last night to the Flickr album. Here are a couple of my favorites for people who don't want to click through to the Flickr album.

28599273032_8a95ee4d60_z.jpgBloo Toss by Ben Stanfield, on Flickr

28089415013_1549f4187c_z.jpgGet in Tuba Line by Ben Stanfield, on Flickr

28083226624_8c2bee8d8a_z.jpgJudas by Ben Stanfield, on Flickr

Edited by besson57

I'm not surprised. Even mid-sized zoom lenses like yours have been intermittently problematic at big DCI shows for years, though as you might imagine, enforcement is very inconsistent, so I have no doubt that many other people have gotten away with it many other times. It comes down to who processes you at the entrance. The fear is a combination of competition with credentialed pros in selling photos and bothering other fans. At one time I remember a rule about the maximum length of zoom lenses when extended... 5", 6"? But again, many people get them in anyway. What you can try doing probably with greater success is taking in a wider-angle zoom lens that maxes out under 100mm and doesn't extend far, and then use photo editing software to crop in.

One thing they may not have figured out yet is that most relatively recent DSLRs take great videos. Smaller cameras take very good ones. Cell phones take decent ones. Let's try banning cell phones and see how far we get.

Actually, they have discovered video recording possibilities with D-SLR cameras, or at least one guard at Lucas Oil did in 2013. I forgot the exact rule regarding the length of a lens, I think it was 8 inches, and my camera lens was about a half an inch too long, but it passed. Where I did get in trouble was when the security guard noticed the model of my camera could record. A supervisor was called, and I was allowed to bring my camera into the show.

Tim, did they tell you not to record video?

Ben, those are good. I've never understood why drum corps photographers think the best perspective is field level near the sideline. It's not how fans see drum corps performers, big close-up poses down low. I know, big lenses in the stands disturb other fans, but still... your work , Ben, shows why photographers should want to be up a bit.

Tim, did they tell you not to record video?

Ben, those are good. I've never understood why drum corps photographers think the best perspective is field level near the sideline. It's not how fans see drum corps performers, big close-up poses down low. I know, big lenses in the stands disturb other fans, but still... your work , Ben, shows why photographers should want to be up a bit.

You know how ticked off people get when they know more than a supervisor and the get in a squabble? That's what happened. I probably could have smuggled in an entire camera crew with the way these two went at it.

I do agree that shots in the stands often tell a better story. The only drawback can be people's heads, but that can often be fixed with cropping.