Field Pass?

I think I remember reading somewhere that the black population in Drum Corps is near/at the national average (about 12%). Does anyone know if that's true?

I haven't actually listened to this podcast so I'm curious, what was wrong with discussing increasing diversity?

Is this activity not diverse enough already? Seriously??

I'm not sure, I don't have any statistics on that matter

I listened to that Marching Roundtable podcast about diversity. Nothing wrong with that, actually some very good and enlightening discussion. Nothing super political or anything.

If you don't wanna listen to that, don't. There are hundreds of other episodes for you on there, and some downright awesome ones at that. Particularly love the ones where they have design teams and staff members of famous shows on to talk about their process.

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 2

Seriously ? Ok... DCI is woefully behind the times, imo in the numbers of woman in leadership positions in DCI Corps, DIrectorships, Boards of Directors, judging ranks, broadcast booth, DCI Corps show design construction, Brass arranging, Percussion arranging, DCI Executive Board, Hall of Fame entrants, Corps Costuming Designing etc and many other leadership positions in DCI. DCI still has 2 Corps that disallow marchers to march their Corps based upon outdated gender disqualification alone. So sure, DCI has outreach that is needed to provide more diversity. Its still a " Good, Ol' Boy " enterprise, imo... even though the numbers of young Women paying the Men to march in the activity on the whole seems to be increasing a bit, in relatively healthy numbers.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 4

Seriously ? Ok... DCI is woefully behind the times, imo in the numbers of woman in leadership positions in DCI Corps, DIrectorships, Boards of Directors, judging ranks, broadcast booth, DCI Corps show design construction, Brass arranging, Percussion arranging, DCI Executive Board, Hall of Fame entrants, Corps Costuming Designing etc and many other leadership positions in DCI. DCI still has 2 Corps that disallow marchers to march their Corps based upon outdated gender disqualification alone. So sure, DCI has outreach that is needed to provide more diversity. Its still a " Good, Ol' Boy " enterprise, imo... even though the numbers of young Women paying the Men to march in the activity on the whole seems to be increasing a bit, in relatively healthy numbers.

This. In general I would say there are two separate aspects of this issue, diversity among students and diversity among staff. Admissions may be fine as far as diversity is concerned (or it may not), but staffing is definitely an issue. It's true they can't hire people who don't apply, but even if that's the cause it's still an important issue.

Edited by Pete Freedman