Why doesn't DCI love the West Coast?

Wow, as if there isn't enough "us against them" in our society. Do we have to promote it in drum corps, too?

Fair enough. I'm just passionate about my drum corps, and finals in 2004 was one of my life's defining moments. I just don't buy a lot of the arguments why corps can't come west. And it's not necessarily the lack of shows, as it is the dates and lack of diversity of corps.

Seriously, I think a lot of people would be happy with a Denver regional. That seems like a decent compromise, and there's a good possibility to get a LOT of Open Class corps involved that don't make it outside their regions. It's as good a place as any for small California and Midwest Open Class corps to finally meet in competition. Don't tell me THAT wouldn't be cool.

the issue is there are very established regional and local shows east of the Rockies (and FINALS in a FREE stadium) and you uproot and lose all that going West

DCI East is extremely profitable for DCI. As our finals. ATL is starting to do well & SAT but not as profitable

I'd say 1 in 8 or 10 years it makes sense to flip things and run those shows earlier and have DATR the final week before finals week and go west. But the situation right now is working well. Plus Indy is CHEAP and LA isn't

Dood! Stop with the "anti-west coasters" jingoism, will ya'? You're dreaming.

And are you kidding? If my state had your tax revenue I could send both of my kids to college for free!

Really, you're ridiculousness will prevent serious discussion, and you're claim that "people" are anti-west coast should actually be stated that corps don't find the value in making the trip.

Period.

You said we need to have more corps out here. I showed that we already outnumber the other two regions. I'm sorry if you're offended that you were incorrect.

And as I've stated many times in this thread, I don't live in California. I've also used many west coast locations in my argument. I simply want to be able to reasonably travel to a drum corps show with an actual variety in lineup. I do not have this luxury right now without boarding a plane. Every time I've asked for a reasonable answer to why this isn't feasible, I'm told that either:

• Drum corps is an East Coast activity only.
  • It's too expensive for East Coast corps to go west from San Antonio, but not too expensive for West Coast corps to go East from San Antonio
  • It's just the way it is and I should literally pack up my family and move.

I've asked for clarity on every single point, and to each I've received crickets or people just get angry without ever providing a single thoughtful, factual case.

You said we need to have more corps out here. I showed that we already outnumber the other two regions. I'm sorry if you're offended that you were incorrect.

And as I've stated many times in this thread, I don't live in California. I've also used many west coast locations in my argument. I simply want to be able to reasonably travel to a drum corps show with an actual variety in lineup. I do not have this luxury right now without boarding a plane. Every time I've asked for a reasonable answer to why this isn't feasible, I'm told that either:

• It's too expensive for East Coast corps to go west from San Antonio, but not too expensive for West Coast corps to go East from San Antonio

I've asked for clarity on every single point, and to each I've received crickets or people just get angry without ever providing a single thoughtful, factual case.

I personally don't think it has anything to do with the corps. It has to do with the Regionals and the traditional layout and you mess up the money making shows for DCI by flipping it

I personally don't think it has anything to do with the corps. It has to do with the Regionals and the traditional layout and you mess up the money making shows for DCI by flipping it

I would be willing to bet that if DCI held a regional in Denver, they could pull a crowd that rivals some of the early Lucas Oil Finals.

• Like 3

I would be willing to bet that if DCI held a regional in Denver, they could pull a crowd that rivals some of the early Lucas Oil Finals.

Yes. But LOS is essentially free for DCI.

OMG, you're killing me. Please stop. "Offended" because I'm wrong? Seriously? First, I'm not wrong. Second, offended because of summer marching band? Are you serious?

So you live in the southwest. You have a cheap airline based in your town - book your seats and go to the shows you want to see (like I did this year)!

Stop asking the entire activity to change (and spend more money!) to accommodate your desire. Take the bull by the horns and book your flights, man!

Jeesh. My pizza is ready. See you in Indy.

Edited by garfield

But we're not advocating for LOS to change. We're advocating for midseason shows in the West. Make Drums Along the Rockies and the Atlanta Regional switch every other year. Done.

Edited by ouooga
  • Like 1

OMG, you're killing me. Please stop. "Offended" because I'm wrong? Seriously? First, I'm not wrong. Second, offended because of summer marching band? Are you serious?

So you live in the southwest. You have a cheap airline based in your town - book your seats and go to the shows you want to see (like I did this year)!

Stop asking the entire activity to change (and spend more money!) to accommodate your desire. Take the bull by the horns and book your flights, man!

Jeesh. My pizza is ready. See you in Indy.

Still not a single answer to a single question I've asked. Bravo.

Edited by ouooga

But we're no advocating for LOS to change. We're advocating for midseason shows in the West. Make Drums Along the Rockies and the Atlanta Regional switch every other year. Done.

We're definitely not advocating DCI stop using LOS. Switching Atlanta and DATR would be neat, or just adding DATR as a regional. Seriously, what could that hurt? Another big show for DCI? And Mile High Stadium can't be that expensive to use, given that DATR has been at Mile High every year for ages. If that crowd can turn a profit, why can't a bigger one?

• Like 3