Percussion: Overall Placements

I was once a judge ( same as you )... Esmass Circuit credentialed and all. You don't have " a clue" on what I know, or don't know about judging, nor what I know or don't know on how auditions are done or not done. So stop with your arrogant, know it all , condenscending attitude. Its not only unbecoming, its ignorant, and silly.

i've been far from arrogant or condescending. but your commentary definitely shows that you've been away too long to know what happens today.

I had good seats up front and I have no clue how you folks could judge the battery from your seats in LOS so I feel it’s more a wish or act of faith

A few things I did notice

Vanguards tenors smoked it

Blue Devils tenosr watered their book from earlier in the season

Blue Knights writing clashed with the ensemble sound, didn’t support the brass well

Crown and Phantom had good writing, ensemble integration

I believe that Show Design even seeps into the Percussion rankings these days now.

For example, without mentioning any Corps names here, one can go onto youtube and watch some of these listed Drumlines and compare the lines ourselves ( granted, its usually just the snares, tenors, bass ). Some of these drumlines were dragged down a bit by the Show Designs, imo. For example, my ears and eyes tell me that the Cadets had a far better drumline than " 5th " place from watching their line play on youtube. Also, for perspective, just a couple of years back, when the Bluecoats Show Design was not quite as good as this years, their Drumline ( still found there on youtube ) was WAYYY better than they were getting credit for. I personally do not think that this season's Bluecoats percussion line was as good as that of just 2 years ago. ( people here can youtube the 2 Bluecoats lines, and decide for themselves ). Was Academy's Percussion line this season at the same quality levels as that of Crossmen's line ? Hhmmnn.. I don't know about this. But Academy's Show Design might just have elevated their line to swim in these same elevated waters for their Drumline this season as well, imo.

This exactly. 1000% spot on.

I think sometimes people assume that judging is a science and that judges evaluate captions in some sort of a vacuum. But the truth is judging is very much an art, and a subjective one at that.

When I would judge high school bands, I would absolutely reward the smaller groups if I felt they were maximizing their show, whereas most of the other judges waited for the 5A and 6A's before giving out top box scores. But to me each sheet is specific to the group in front of you and they should be rewarded for what they attempting/achieving relative only to themselves. If that is top box worthy, then it is top box worthy, regardless of any other factors.

DCI on the other hands is very good about lining up the captions close to the order of finish. Yes, there are exceptions, like with the Rennick's were with Phantom (and probably a few more), but for the most part it seems as though your caption scores/placements goes as your GE and overall placement goes.