Emergence of the Front Ensemble

Emergence? I would say dominance. Personally I am surprised they still march tubas with all the low end synth and doubling these days. But yeah, the over emoting/pulsing is funny to watch sometimes. I particularly like the pits in the winter when they are all trying to over emote each other to get the spot in tryouts. It's like watching Mexican jumping beans.

• Like 5

Emergence? I would say dominance. Personally I am surprised they still march tubas with all the low end synth and doubling these days. But yeah, the over emoting/pulsing is funny to watch sometimes. I particularly like the pits in the winter when they are all trying to over emote each other to get the spot in tryouts. It's like watching Mexican jumping beans.

OMG, thank you.

Thank you.

I was the BD timpanist in 1981 & 82. Mike Moxley (BD's drill designer at the time) told me at one point during the 82 season was that the real motive behind the creation of the off field pit was because the visual designers wanted use of that prime real estate in the front part of the field.

Drill design for marching mallets and timps back then mainly consisted of having them stay upfront and that consequently occupied a good portion of the "stage" between the 35's yd lines. Grounding the timps (1980 was first time for BD) took up the center part that valuable space as well. By moving the grounded percussion off the field it opened up that space to the design team, and for BD in 82 that meant great staging for featuring our winged dream girl color guard. Oh, and of course, seeing that there is a BD hornline in the equation it naturally meant more room to bring more lead soprano's down front and plant them on the 50 yd line .

I am curious about the off-field placement of the pit. Is there a DCI rule these days that stipulates the Front Ensemble must be off-field?

My recollection is that some years ago the Phantom Regiment had its entire FE on the field (somewhere left-of-center around the 30-35 yard line and perhaps 20 yards from the sideline).

If anyone is familiar with this show, do you have an understanding of its on-field placement and/or an opinion on its efficacy ?

I am curious about the off-field placement of the pit. Is there a DCI rule these days that stipulates the Front Ensemble must be off-field?

Nope, watch Cavaliers 2014

snare_guy_83

Thanks for the reminder about that masterful presentation. That answers my first question.

My second ? has to do with the ongoing discussions, especially between garfield and MarimbaManiac, as to whether placement of the entire FE on the field (similar to what the Regiment did) would address some of the questions raised about maintaining tempo, distance of the FE from a roving battery, ability of the FE to see and take cues from the DM, ability to expand the use of the entire field, ability to bring the brass closer to the crowd, etc. Just curious.