BD Drum Question

During BD's 7-year "dry period" of no championships (1987-1993), they went through some really low drum scores, especially 1991-1993. In fact, they finished 9th in drums in 1991 (they placed 5th). Looking at the recap (there were 3 unaveraged drum numbers then), had their drums been at all competitive, they could have won---certainly top 3. That was the second time a VERY low drum score cost them points/placements. In 1981, they finished 2nd by 0.3 but were behind SCV 1.6 in drums. Yipes!

The question: who was teaching drums in 1991, and why were drums so bad?

During BD's 7-year "dry period" of no championships (1987-1993), they went through some really low drum scores, especially 1991-1993. In fact, they finished 9th in drums in 1991 (they placed 5th). Looking at the recap (there were 3 unaveraged drum numbers then), had their drums been at all competitive, they could have won---certainly top 3. That was the second time a VERY low drum score cost them points/placements. In 1981, they finished 2nd by 0.3 but were behind SCV 1.6 in drums. Yipes!

The question: who was teaching drums in 1991, and why were drums so bad?

According to their app the staff was:

Paul Renneck

Pat Fitzgerald

Marc Jacoby

Andy Marchetti

Curt Moore

Fred Sanford

Edited by tesmusic

In 1991, the Floats had just gotten the boot and Fred Sanford stepped in as caption head. Obviously Sanford is a legend, but the timing here was ... off.

The change towards what we think of now occurred between 1992 and 1994. Dave Glyde came on board in 1992, and Scojo joined the staff in 1994.

Also, Jeff Lee-who I think did wonderful things with the front ensemble was officially listed starting in 1993, although his bio says he began with the organization in 1992.

• Like 1

I remember 1991. They had such a great horn line but the drums were just average. The previous year they were so entertaining to watch (Tommy show). They seemed a bit better in 1993 but 1994 was THE year. That line was something else.

I think the combination of Glyde and Scojo really made 1994 happen.

That, mixed with incredible design from a musical standpoint, and you had it.

I remember 1991. They had such a great horn line but the drums were just average. The previous year they were so entertaining to watch (Tommy show). They seemed a bit better in 1993 but 1994 was THE year. That line was something else.

1991's show really grew on me. Yes, it's easier to like given the stellar brass. No, "average" is not a correct term here. Look at the recap. They lost POINTS because of percussion.

The change towards what we think of now occurred between 1992 and 1994. Dave Glyde came on board in 1992, and Scojo joined the staff in 1994.

Also, Jeff Lee-who I think did wonderful things with the front ensemble was officially listed starting in 1993, although his bio says he began with the organization in 1992.

As a side note - Jeff Lee is truly one of the most gifted musician/composers in the game. I am proud to say I enlisted him to write all the mallet parts for our high school drumline when he was a freshman and I was the drumline captain. Now we were no DCI line but we didn't lose one percussion caption in 4 straight years. That was largely due to Jeff and his creative writing skills - even as a beginner. We later had a stint playing in a rock band together - he's one hell of a piano / keyboard player too.

As a side note - Jeff Lee is truly one of the most gifted musician/composers in the game. I am proud to say I enlisted him to write all the mallet parts for our high school drumline when he was a freshman and I was the drumline captain. Now we were no DCI line but we didn't lose one percussion caption in 4 straight years. That was largely due to Jeff and his creative writing skills - even as a beginner. We later had a stint playing in a rock band together - he's one hell of a piano / keyboard player too.

Okay, a slight/brief detour for this thread. Because I have to ask.........

Why or how did it come about that students are recruiting other students to write parts of a marching band show. Not saying it's a good or bad thing, just wondering about staff (or maybe, lack of staff).