Congratulations to DCI's newest World Class corps!

And besides, and I don't mean this to be rude or insulting, but I go to WC corps events to see the good corps...I don't really want my money spent to go see another mediocre group.

Not to be rude...but it is THIS thinking that gave rise to the G7 failed coup in the first place...

• Like 7

As far as BDB and VC are concerned. Those are feeder corps, dictated by their mission statements. They will not move up, and according to their own mission, cannot move up.

As for Genesis, they've been performing in 15+ show tours the last several seasons, taking them out to the east coast as well, and they've shown they can handle it. And it looks like they handle their touring budget very well from what I've seen.

I think the major concerns at this point are one, how much is in the bank for contingency funds as well as what is their board seeing as projected funding for the next ten years, and two, which may be the real stinker, is can DCI afford to add another payout to their show lineups. OC lineups does not matter, as in OC Only shows no performance fees are paid to the corps. WC and Mixed shows though... now that changes the payouts.

Unfortunately the performance fees just don't cut it for any of the groups involved...they only cover a small portion of their annual budgets...hence why members are charged huge fees...and that still doesn't make it for the corps...a drum corps by itself is a loosing proposition IMO from a financial perspective...that's why the more successful organizations have expanded their business horizons into other complementary businesses...

Not to be rude...but it is THIS thinking that gave rise to the G7 failed coup in the first place...

man you guys are really obsessed with the G7.

anyway...

watch the stands at a larger show where there's a broad mix of corps. audience will fill in as the corps placements improve. i enjoy watching everyone -- you can find creativity everywhere. but the poster is just being honest (and I think he represents a HUGE portion of the drum corps audience as evidenced by watching crowds fill in the seats at a show). ironically the only shows where this *doesnt* seem to happen are the TOC shows. stands are full for the first corps. stupid TOC corps.

I would not recommend it.

Let them continue for a another 3 years or so, make sure they can prove they have consistent funding to be able to tour on a WC level.

Remember Teal Sound, Magic of Orlando, Capital Regiment, even Glassmen fell after being WC for years and years.

They have to have the money, and consistent money. It isn't "Oh look, we can afford to tour on a WC level this year - let's go for it!" That is just asking for failure.

You realize, of course, that corps look at these things much closer in the current times, as does DCI as an umbrella organization to insure that those types of situations hopefully do not happen again.

That being said, it is very possible, and dare I say very likely, that those running Genesis from a logistical and financial side could be/are running things better than some current WC corps.

Just because they are in the move up process doesn't mean they're not ready. There are other OC corps that are strong and probably ready as well. Just haven't yet.

That's like the argument on the Madison thread where some arsattackibg the new visual staff because some feel they are inferior because they most recently taught a"feeder corps," even though from a competitive standpoint the argument holds no weight.

They will not be granted WC status if they're not ready, but please don't say they're not simply because from an organizational standpoint they're young.

• Like 1

man you guys are really obsessed with the G7.

anyway...

watch the stands at a larger show where there's a broad mix of corps. audience will fill in as the corps placements improve. i enjoy watching everyone -- you can find creativity everywhere. but the poster is just being honest (and I think he represents a HUGE portion of the drum corps audience as evidenced by watching crowds fill in the seats at a show). ironically the only shows where this *doesnt* seem to happen are the TOC shows. stands are full for the first corps. stupid TOC corps.

If I was still in my early 20's I'd be the first one at the stadium...nowadays although I still love all the corps....I start to drift a bit in an evening of drum corps LIVE show when the show gets past about 8 to 10 groups...the fact that they get better is only based on lineup excluding TOC shows...honestly...I have no idea how people sit all day to watch corps at the regional shows for that matter to be honest...

And besides, and I don't mean this to be rude or insulting, but I go to WC corps events to see the good corps...I don't really want my money spent to go see another mediocre group.

Corpsband suggests that you just come later to the show...problem solved...LOL

• Like 1

If I had wanted to go see Open Class, then I would go

Therein lies the problem.

Downplaying their performance level and organization because of the OC label is shallow, imo, and seems to be what you're saying, based on your posts.

Also, with the new Thursday format of finals weak, it proves that those class labels don't truly matter from a competitive standpoint.

• Like 3

Corpsband suggests that you just come later to the show...problem solved...LOL

no corpsband suggests you free your mind and find something amazing in each corps performance. sometimes it's an individual performer or sometimes it's a clever arrangement and sometimes its "wow -- they're good".

i'm just suggesting that we not crucify the poster for saying out loud what many fans (rightly or wrongly) quietly think.

ps. if you can't find something to like , give that corps' staff an evil glare as they exit for letting their kids down so badly :ninja:

Edited by corpsband

If I was still in my early 20's I'd be the first one at the stadium...nowadays although I still love all the corps....I start to drift a bit in an evening of drum corps LIVE show when the show gets past about 8 to 10 groups...the fact that they get better is only based on lineup excluding TOC shows...honestly...I have no idea how people sit all day to watch corps at the regional shows for that matter to be honest...

i cant sit through all of prelims. but 8 corps? you MUST be getting old :colgate:

• Like 2

Unfortunately the performance fees just don't cut it for any of the groups involved...they only cover a small portion of their annual budgets...hence why members are charged huge fees...and that still doesn't make it for the corps...a drum corps by itself is a loosing proposition IMO from a financial perspective...that's why the more successful organizations have expanded their business horizons into other complementary businesses...

while they aren't supposed to be relying on performance fees to run the corps, they do become another mouth to feed overall. WC corps all buy into splitting money of the overall season, basically they buy shares of the company. Approving a corps to move from OC to WC is tricky, simply because the other WC corps have to vote to give up some money with every mouth they feed. Which may not help them recoup that money.