Genesis 2017

39 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

Wow.....really?  Something is too fun for the field?  Jeez, no wonder there are certain stigmas about DCP.  :lle:

I guess hearing Bernstein, Copland, Stravinsky, or some other beat to death composer on the field for the ten billionth time is okay but heaven forbid we hear a little Metallica and it's "too fun" for audiences.  And if anyone has a hard time finding the pulse in that video, yikes.  Might wanna get theirs checked.  

Kudos for Genesis for straying away from the cliches and giving us some music with a little  more variety and life.  And I think we're getting a little bit ahead of ourselves, IMO a corps can have any theme or selection of music it just comes down to the presentation of what they're using.  I can think of a few corps in recent years that looked really ridiculous and like it couldn't work on paper and they turned out.....well one of them has a championship.  Let's see how they present it. 

I have a feeling like the last few years Genesis will be just fine in terms of audience engagement.  I think I, and many others, will really enjoy what they have to offer and there won't be any golf claps for them.  

fwiw i'm not trying to indicate my reaction to this.  i think DCI is still too stodgy.  but i do think that's how many in green shirts will react.

there's definitely an unspoken sense of what's appropriate, what's trend-setting, what we should take seriously,  and what's not. 

heck i think there are people who will be up in arms about witchcraft.  because it's the work of the devil trying to take over our children's minds. 

Edited by corpsband

7 minutes ago, year1buick said:

Crown did pretty well with Bohemian Rhapsody, didn't they? I wouldn't exactly call that high brow either. 

ok being the pivotal word.  did ok with Rach Star but did they credit what was played or did they struggle to get past "it's rock music" ?