Cesario out as Artistic Director

4 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

Ive seen this not only in our activity but other forms of music in the past few years also. For me, and I say just for me I love to see the visual combined with the musical but that does'nt have to be everyone's opinion for sure.

Watch the entire Tina Turner One Last Time Live Concert at Wembley Stadium (circa 2000).  That is a perfect marriage of musical integrity (all live playing and singing; no lip-syincing by Tina and no air-playing of instruments by any of the musicians; that along with tremendous visual aspects performed on stage made for a Great Concert).  Now compare that to the modern rock/pop/electro live performances where not only are the singers lip-syncing because the visual antics on stage are so demanding, but it is now at a point where many of the rock/pop musicians are air-playing their instruments live to recorded sounds.  Why?  Because the live concerts of today have mainly become All About The Visual Spectacle and less and less and less about the skill-set of qualitative live 'musical' performers.

Edited by Stu

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Watch the entire Tina Turner One Last Time Live Concert at Wembley Stadium (circa 2000).  That is a perfect marriage of musical integrity (all live playing and singing; no lip-syincing by Tina and no air-playing of instruments by any of the musicians; that along with tremendous visual aspects performed on stage made for a Great Concert).  Now compare that to the modern rock/pop/electro live performances where not only are the singers lip-syncing because the visual antics on stage are so demanding, but it is now at a point where many of the rock/pop musicians are air-playing their instruments live to recorded sounds.  Why?  Because the live concerts of today have mainly become All About The Visual Spectacle and less and less and less about the skill-set of qualitative live 'musical' performers.

In our case, our performers are doing both. Many with little experience, creating great music as well as making the experience a visual one. Seems like a win win for all....jmo

1 minute ago, GUARDLING said:

In our case, our performers are doing both. Many with little experience, creating great music as well as making the experience a visual one. Seems like a win win for all....jmo

Define Great Music.  Is the music you are referring to something that has composition integrity on it's own with coherent phrases and melodies apart from the visual cues which make musical sense listening to it via CD/MP3 (as in how I can listen to the musical Les Mis and understand the music compositions without the visual), or does the music you reference have chopped phrasing, broken melodic lines, weird impacts and other sounds that only relate to and make sense with a visual stimuli?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Oh how I wish that I had the time and energy to go deep sea diving on DCP and dig up some previous comments on older threads here on DCP. Suffice it to say that my contention was that I should be able to enjoy listening to the musical compositions/arrangements on the CD as much as enjoying watching/listening to the shows on the DVD; you on the other hand were hyper-rabid concerning that DCI is, and should be, ‘All About The Visual’.

I even asked you at one point if that meant it was ok to destroy the cohesive musical phrasing, melodic content, composition-structure, etc… and produce merely incidental quasi-musical sound spurts and seemingly random impact points in the name of enhancing/supporting the all-mighty Visual.  Your response was not only in the Affirmative, but that in your opinion the musical sound should actually be driven by those Visual cues and that it mattered not if the music made any cohesive sense whatsoever while listening to it on a CD.  To you it was far, far more important for the first trumpets to run, dance, spin, move in extreme athletic ways than for them to play a cohesive musical melody. This is what spawned the fiery debates I was referring to.

We just see the same thing in 2 very different ways.  Is that a bad thing? Does any of it really matter? We can debate what is or what it was or going to be and still have different opinions on that direction.

2 minutes ago, Stu said:

Define Great Music.  Is the music you are referring to something that has composition integrity on it's own with coherent phrases and melodies apart from the visual cues which make musical sense listening to it via CD/MP3 (as in how I can listen to the musical Les Mis and understand the music compositions without the visual), or does the music you reference have chopped phrasing, broken melodic lines, weird impacts and other sounds that only relate to and make sense with a visual stimuli?

I think I can like as well as appreciate both. The same as I can appreciate something classical verses pop or jazz or whatever

1 minute ago, GUARDLING said:

We just see the same thing in 2 very different ways.  Is that a bad thing? Does any of it really matter? We can debate what is or what it was or going to be and still have different opinions on that direction.

Yes it does matter when a musician cannot listen to a CD/MP3 recording and have the music make any musical sense.in the terms of phrasing and melodic structure, but only hear quasi-musical sounds that consist of broken phrases, broken melodies along with weird impact points, etc....  While the visual of today's DCI is wonderful, It is becoming ever so difficult for the musician to enjoy the music.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Stu said:

Yes it does matter when a musician cannot listen to a CD/MP3 recording and have the music make any musical sense.in the terms of phrasing and melodic structure, but only hear quasi-musical sounds that consist of broken phrases, broken melodies along with weird impact points, etc....  While the visual of today's DCI is wonderful, It is becoming ever so difficult for the musician to enjoy the music.

It's all a matter of ones taste. I think there are plenty out there who may agree with ya but just as many who love what will be put on the field in 2017. 

I guess the topic went way beyond MC...lol

Edited by GUARDLING

4 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

I think I can like as well as appreciate both. The same as I can appreciate something classical verses pop or jazz or whatever

Ummmm.... even the most eclectic Acid Jazz actually has a 'musical structure' which is understandable apart from the visual performance aspects on stage.  Whereas many DCI performances downright make no sense musically whatsoever unless it is paired with the visual; and then you realize that it is all about the visual and not about the musical component (which still rarely makes any 'musical' sense).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stu said:

Ummmm.... even the most eclectic Acid Jazz actually has a 'musical structure' which is understandable apart from the visual performance aspects on stage.  Whereas many DCI performances downright make no sense musically whatsoever unless it is paired with the visual; and then you realize that it is all about the visual and not about the musical component (which still rarely makes any 'musical' sense).

ok lets say I give ya that...and?

clearly you dislike that.and that's fine

8 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

It's all a matter of ones taste. I think there are plenty out there who may agree with ya but just as many who love what will be put on the field in 2017. 

I guess the topic went way beyond MC...lol

I am not saying that I do not love what is on the DCI field; the visual is fantastic.  What I am saying is that as a musician I cannot stand to listen to most of DCI music in the recent years on it's own terms.  For an example outside of DCI: The visual performances of Pink Floyd and Rush were fantastic, but I can also really enjoy the CD/MP3 recordings of the live performances.  This is opposed to say Daft Punk or Blue Man; which are both great visually live, and the sounds really enhance what I see on stage; but I find the audio recordings musically boring when I listen to just the music.

And this has everything to do with MC and the way an Artistic Director can steer DCI.