Cesario out as Artistic Director

18 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

Interesting to say the least.

Why not just say thank you to a person ( agree with views or not ) for decades of service to our activity rather than debate what one contributed or not. 

Even the lunch lady, semi driver, person who lines the field, etc etc contributed in a major way, whether we agreed how they did their jobs or not. The guy retires and now there is more debate then there was a few days ago on his policies. I've always said we are one of the few activities that eat their own. 

Over the years I have been at odds with some icons in the activity but when they choose to move on you thank them for their service find something nice to say  and move forward.This is all  JMO and no need to debate.

We all shape lives in our activity and most often do things within the activity the we believe is in the best interest of the activity. With that will always be opposition and those who do not agree but again i will say , after decades we thank those who dedicated to all of us.

" There's always something good one can find , after decades with what another has done " AGAIN...jmo

This is not a funeral.  Here, we discuss the finer aspects of the drum corps activity.  Along the way, we even learn more about what we should be thankful for.

But like the activity itself, we judge subjectively.  Few things are deemed categorically "all good", like a clean tick sheet.  We did away with that system back in the 1980s.

Those of us who know and worked with Lee Carlson are VERY EXCITED about his appointment as artistic director.  Lee was my color guard instructor both in high school and then when I moved on and marched with the Sky Ryders in 1981.  His artistic instinct is unsurpassed and his instruction at Sky Ryders produced other drum corps/marching band/color guard "greats" including Karl Lowe, KC Michel, Wes Cartright and Alan Moeggenboerg.  I'm looking forward to great things from DCI with Lee's fabulous influence!

Also, I believe that Michael Cesario will continue to play a role at DCI, based on Director Dan Acheson's comments at the preview show on Tuesday.

Blessings!

6 hours ago, ironlips said:

I truly wish we could sit around a table in real time (as often happened in days of old) and discuss such matters over refreshments. And if that were possible now, I'd like to do it at Michael Cesario's house.

I always think of DCP a bit like a local pub, like Cheers, where we know everybody and discuss the things we love, and even tease one another mercilessly from time to time.

Of course, there are always one or two guys that you just never want to sit next to at the bar and have to listen to their BS all night.

3 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

This is not a funeral.  Here, we discuss the finer aspects of the drum corps activity.  Along the way, we even learn more about what we should be thankful for.

But like the activity itself, we judge subjectively.  Few things are deemed categorically "all good", like a clean tick sheet.  We did away with that system back in the 1980s.

My point was that until he announced his retirement a few days ago there wasn't any talk of this, now its as if he was just appointed and some all of a sudden trying to figure out what the position even is. 

Discussion on any topic including artistic director meaning is great, timing seems a little strange. Should or could have MC be challenged on all fronts including maybe conflicts of interest , YES now upon leaving, I just feel let the guy leave knowing his huge contributions and not sorry he even donated so much of his life to our activity , which I do know over the years many have felt.

Agree or not with policies, Thank You MC for your dedication, visions and ongoing help to preserve our activity and move it forward.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

My point was that until he announced his retirement a few days ago there wasn't any talk of this, now its as if he was just appointed and some all of a sudden trying to figure out what the position even is. 

Actually, there was a whole thread about it several years ago called "DCI's Artistic Director does...what, exactly?".  You even posted there.  

In fact, your posts were arguably more insulting to Cesario than anything said in this thread.  Surprised the language you used slipped through the DCP profanity filters.  You called him a "politician".  :)

On 6/20/2017 at 11:01 PM, xandandl said:

For those who don't know the man,

LEE CARLSON of Palm Springs, CA

Lee has served as Visual Caption Head for Drum Corps International for three year and Judges Liaison for two years. Currently he is Judge Recruiter for DCI. Lee has been judging for DCI for 14 years, and has judged finals 8 times. He has judged for Bands Of America for 7 years including Grand Nationals Finals for the last two years and has been a clinician for the Music for All Summer Symposium for 6 years. He has judged for many Winter Guard Circuits across the country, and has been involved in administration for the Winter Guard Association of Southern California and the Indiana High School Winter Guard Association. He has been drill designer for the University of Southern California for the last 31 years. His experience in instructions ranges from high school, to drum corps, and has been involved with large pageantry productions including the 1984 Summer Olympics, the centennial of the Statue of Liberty, Centennial and Bicentennial of the French Revolution and the Eiffel Tower in Paris and Celebration of Independence in Singapore. Internationally he has adjudicated in Japan, England, and the Netherlands.

(from e-adjudicators)

Another visual/guard focused person. I would much rather have a music focused person.    :(

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Triple Forte said:

Another visual/guard focused person. I would much rather have a music focused person.    :(

Why? The music has been just fine. 

• Like 1

Just now, Eleran said:

And THERE we go ... back to disagreement land.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

In recent years the music programs have been absolutely fantastic.