Rules Questions

45 minutes ago, Kamarag said:

There are no rules against the use of click-tracks. There never has been, actually, despite the rumors of DCI stormtroopers checking equipment (DCI hasn't looked at anyone's gear seriously since 2009). Additionally, I'm pretty sure the "rhythmic intent" rule was eliminated years ago (it was eliminated in DCA for this year).

so that Bluecoats headphone check, what was that about?

Fake news, hype?

12 minutes ago, cowtown said:

so that Bluecoats headphone check, what was that about?

Fake news, hype?

No idea, but in-ear monitors have been legal since 2009 (and likely before that, due to poorly worded rules). The only real question regarding mixing was in either 09 or 10 (Can't remember which) when Bluecoats started mixing remotely via wi-fi...the rule didn't cover that either way (when I taught those years, assisting with the mix, I kept a copy of the rules in my back pocket most of the season since it was such a radical change between 08 and 09).

Its no different that dutting, aside from being a lot less offensive to the audience :)

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Kamarag said:

There are no rules against the use of click-tracks. There never has been, actually, despite the rumors of DCI stormtroopers checking equipment (DCI hasn't looked at anyone's gear seriously since 2009).

Pretty sure last year Bluecoats actually did let the judges hear what the pit was hearing on at least one occasion early in the season..

1 minute ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Pretty sure last year Bluecoats actually did let the judges hear what the pit was hearing on at least one occasion early in the season..

Oh, I'm sure they did. But it's not like DCI could have done anything either way. It's legal. In 2010, we talked about using the same click-track technology Disney World uses for parades, but decided not to due to equipment cost at the time (it would be monumentally cheaper now, should any corps want to try it).

Edited by Kamarag

1 minute ago, N.E. Brigand said:

they did, they made a point of talking about it

and they did have a rule change about mixing remotely from the stands (on an ipad), it's allowed now 

2 minutes ago, Kamarag said:

Oh, I'm sure they did. But it's not like DCI could have done anything either way. It's legal. In 2010, we talked about using the same click-track technology Disney World uses for parades, but decided not to due to equipment cost at the time (it would be monumentally cheaper now, should any corps want to try it).

they made of point of mentioning there was no click track, that it was just a monitor mix, that's why the judges listened in, if it were legal, why even do that? 

6 minutes ago, cowtown said:

they made of point of mentioning there was no click track, that it was just a monitor mix, that's why the judges listened in, if it were legal, why even do that? 

Beats me. Maybe the contest director didn't know the rule (more common than you'd think..see below), or maybe just to get 'em off their backs. Click tracks aren't any different than operating a met on a pole...they aren't a cure-all.

Sidebar: In 2009, the first show out the contest director didn't know the new electronics rules, and actually unplugged the corps' generator cable in effort to stop our set-up (synth, guitars, etc). I had to pull the rules out of my pocket and show him to get him to even allow us to continue, "pending a phone call to DCI at intermission".

Edited by Kamarag

6 minutes ago, cowtown said:

They made of point of mentioning there was no click track, that it was just a monitor mix, that's why the judges listened in, if it were legal, why even do that? 

Why? Because they wanted to demonstrate the achievement of what they were doing. Just because something isn't cheating doesn't mean it's not a crutch.

9 minutes ago, cowtown said:

And they did have a rule change about mixing remotely from the stands (on an ipad), it's allowed now 

I saw SCVC doing that at O.C. Finals in 2012 or 2013; the guy sat right in front of me. So that's been cool for some time.

Just now, N.E. Brigand said:

Why? Because they wanted to demonstrate the achievement of what they were doing. Just because something isn't cheating doesn't mean it's not a crutch.

Great answer.

Besides, why does it matter? If the audience can't hear it, who cares? Heck, there have been drum majors that have used BodyBeat tech during shows, and you (royal "you") had no idea. If a corps uses a click track, what's the big deal?