Rules Questions

Just now, Kamarag said:

You're actually equating the abuse of illegal drugs to using a click track? Really?

What if steroids were legal? I've seen lots of arguments over the years that they should be: that athletes ought to be able to do whatever they like with their bodies in order to maximize their achievement.

1 minute ago, Kamarag said:

The judges don't care. Music judges judge what they hear, not what they don't hear. By your logic a corps using new System Blue or Yamaha brass should be judged differently than a corps playing on ten year old Dynasty horns.

Well, I believe you've actually judged, and I certainly haven't.

So: do judges never consider whether corps/band A is doing something easier or harder than corps/band B?

And is it or is it not easier to use a click track?

1 minute ago, N.E. Brigand said:

What if steroids were legal? I've seen lots of arguments over the years that they should be: that athletes ought to be able to do whatever they like with their bodies in order to maximize their achievement.

But they aren't, so your point would be moot.

2 minutes ago, Kamarag said:

You're actually equating the abuse of illegal drugs to using a click track? Really?

Cow's asking good, honest questions...you're just off the rails.

Why is that comparison off base? They both are meant to enhance performance. 

A click track pretty much eliminates one of the challenges of marching and playing with 100+ other members over a vast area - keeping time. 

It would help eliminate ensemble tears which still happen even to the best of corps

• Like 1

Just now, Kamarag said:

But they aren't, so your point would be moot.

Not really. A few years ago, some of what we're discussing in DCI would have been against the rules. We're comparing something that's forbidden in sports now to something that was forbidden in corps in the relatively recent past.

• Like 2

The better counter-argument to my point would be: every corps should be using a click track, and those who don't are fools.

4 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Well, I believe you've actually judged, and I certainly haven't.

So: do judges never consider whether corps/band A is doing something easier or harder than corps/band B?

And is it or is it not easier to use a click track?

I have (but not at the drum corps level, I love teaching too much).

Answer #1: All the time, but not in the way you are positing. If anything, a band's use of a click track (*if* they were able to make me aware of it) might be seen as extra achievement. because...

Answer #2: ...playing with a click track take a lot of practice. It makes it *much* harder to recover from error, especially in an ensemble situation, and it's absolutely not something musicians should be using until they reach a certain ability level at a minimum.

SIDEBAR. We've used click tacks in the center snare drummer's ear at Cabs in the past during rehearsal. I though it created more problems than it fixed. We aren't doing anything like that this year at all.

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Kamarag said:

I believe SCV is essentially doing that right now, with around fifteen brass players miced the entire time. It was pretty evident on the FLo stream, especially during the technical moments (sounding almost artificially clean) and the end of the show (where they reverb was way to hot and carried far longer on the final release than a unamplified release would have).

The future is now...

4 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

The better counter-argument to my point would be: every corps should be using a click track, and those who don't are fools.

I think you committed three logical fallacies in one sentence. Impressive!

1 minute ago, Kamarag said:

I think you committed three logical fallacies in one sentence. Impressive!

I'll take it.

• Like 1