Rules Questions

2 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Why? Because they wanted to demonstrate the achievement of what they were doing. Just because something isn't cheating doesn't mean it's not a crutch.

so why the judge?

not saying it's cheating, something doesn't add up 

a monitor headphone mix from the board is older than me, I don't see that as an achievement

Edited by cowtown

Just now, Kamarag said:

Great answer.

Besides, why does it matter? If the audience can't hear it, who cares? Heck, there have been drum majors that have used BodyBeat tech during shows, and you (royal "you") had no idea. If a corps uses a click track, what's the big deal?

Why does it matter whether or not athletes use steroids? If they audience sees a great performance, who cares?

Just now, cowtown said:

so why the judge?

a monitor headphone mix from the board is older than me, I don't see that as an achievement

For all we know, it was nothing more than, "Hey, what you guys got going on with the in-ears?" as a matter of curiosity, and not rules enforcement.

1 minute ago, cowtown said:

so why the judge?

not saying it's cheating, something doesn't add up 

Again, because even if using a clicktrack is legal, if the judge thinks you're doing that, he may decide that you're not achieving as much as another corps who's not using a clicktrack.

3 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Why does it matter whether or not athletes use steroids? If they audience sees a great performance, who cares?

All-Drug Olympics.

• Like 1

Just now, N.E. Brigand said:

Again, because even if using a clicktrack is legal, if the judge thinks you're doing that, he may decide that you're not achieving as much as another corps who's not using a clicktrack.

Just throwing that out there,  so what about using a monitor mix as opposed to listening, is it a lessor achievement? Trying to follow your track

Well, rules are rules and it’s clear we don’t know the rules which, is why I’m asking the questions .

perhaps someone will come along and let us know but as far as I knew the original electronic rules and the amended rules, I’d like a bit of clarity on the issue

and as  mentioned about the generator, I have known DCI to fail on enforcing the rules fairly for all corps

• Like 2

I've seen a number of marching band performances in which the director steps up to the drum major's podium before each song and quietly plays a metronome (but not so quietly that I can't hear it). I'd say that was a lesser achievement.

5 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

The judges don't care. Music judges judge what they hear, not what they don't hear. By your logic a corps using new System Blue or Yamaha brass should be judged differently than a corps playing on ten year old Dynasty horns. 

1 minute ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I've seen a number of marching band performances in which the director steps up to the drum major's podium before each song and quietly plays a metronome (but not so quietly that I can't hear it). I'd say that was a lesser achievement.

Depends on the rules used by the circuit. Heck *I've* done that for my drum majors at early-season football games. 

12 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

You're actually equating the abuse of illegal drugs to using a click track? Really?

Cow's asking good, honest questions...you're just off the rails.

Edited by Kamarag