I need an explanation of the current judging sheets

7 hours ago, mingusmonk said:

You probably shouldn't be looking for head-to-head comparisons from Prelims  night to Finals night. Judges are managing numbers of 38 corps vs 12. The management process is different when ranking and rating 38 within one grid vs 12. Ordinals? Sure. Exact sub-caption scores? Meh.

agreed. Fewer corps allows more room to create spreads

• Like 1

So is it fair to say, If, let's say Cadets played a tune, and let's say Colts played the same arrangement that their Rep or Content would be the exact same on the scoring sheets? Achievement would be different but would not the same arrangement warrant the same difficulty number? And if the number is different in difficulty is based on which box they are in, how can a judge determine some of the members most of the time and all of the members all of the time, when it's say their first read for both corps? It seems the Rep or Content score would be the same since it is the same arrangement  (that never happens) but the achievement would vary based on performance. 

Edited by JKT90

22 minutes ago, JKT90 said:

So is it fair to say, If, let's say Cadets played a tune, and let's say Colts played the same arrangement that their Rep or Content would be the exact same on the scoring sheets? Achievement would be different but would not the same arrangement warrant the same difficulty number? And if the number is different in difficulty is based on which box they are in, how can a judge determine some of the members most of the time and all of the members all of the time, when it's say their first read for both corps? It seems the Rep or Content score would be the same since it is the same arrangement  (that never happens) but the achievement would vary based on performance. 

you don't get scores for rep you aren't achieving to a basic/ok level. That's why the rep scores go up as shows are cleaned. Unless I am completely in a fog

What I'm saying Is, on the sheet where it has Music Brass...left column is content. Should not that number be the same regardless if the corps is playing the same arrangement. 

Edited by JKT90

1 hour ago, JKT90 said:

What I'm saying Is, on the sheet where it has Music Brass...left column is content. Should not that number be the same regardless if the corps is playing the same arrangement. 

He is understands you correctly.

The better you execute a high-level book, the more appreciated the book is. It is more readable. Every aspect of the intent of the book becomes clearer.

In your first example, Colts are probably so far away from acheiving the book (sorry Colts) that it does the content a disservice. Even if it is the theoretical exact same book as Cavaliers, it is harder to appreciate what the Rep/Content actually is. 

Edited by mingusmonk

So, if they are both playing the star spangled banner...is not the musical content the same? The achievement score can obviously vary...

Not that any corps would play that..im just curious how this piece of music scores higher in content than a similar piece...especially when we've had multiple instances of corps playing the same piece of music. 

It seems you are thinking of "Content" in too singular of a fashion. As if you are simply thinking that they are judging music notation on paper. Here is the Content makeup for Percussion:

• Depth of vocabulary
  • Depth and Range of Technical and Musical Skills
  • Simultaneous Responsibilities
  • Range of Musical, Physical, and Environmental Challenges

Looking at those elements, I think you can see how Content scores can evolve across a season.

13 minutes ago, mingusmonk said:

It seems you are thinking of "Content" in too singular of a fashion. As if you are simply thinking that they are judging music notation on paper. Here is the Content makeup for Percussion:

• Depth of vocabulary
  • Depth and Range of Technical and Musical Skills
  • Simultaneous Responsibilities
  • Range of Musical, Physical, and Environmental Challenges

Looking at those elements, I think you can see how Content scores can evolve across a season.

Thank you. That makes a little more sense. 

On 6/30/2017 at 6:26 PM, George Dixon said:

you don't get scores for rep you aren't achieving to a basic/ok level. That's why the rep scores go up as shows are cleaned. Unless I am completely in a fog

correct. the better its played, the more nuances you find that help the rep number

On 6/30/2017 at 6:37 PM, JKT90 said:

how does a judge know it's the same? They don't get the scores. and is the same arrangement performed exactly the same?