DCI Scoring methodology

On 8/1/2017 at 2:50 PM, MikeRapp said:

And by 98% accurate, you mean 98% unchanged from day 1 of the season. Some might not call that accurate, but rather suspiciously predictable.

This phenomenon - which has been prevalent for decades - is commonly known as 'slotting'.  Look at some of the recaps from Allentown this year and you will see that in effect for many of the corps.

On 8/3/2017 at 11:10 AM, c mor said:

Group-tick, a particularly nasty phenomenon...

A 'group tick' as you describe it was referred to as a 'unit penalty'.  And unit penalties - the number of tics assigned to perceived errors occurring within a very short time frame - was quite subjective.

Yes - unit penalty - I forgot the term.   I do remember how discouraging they were to young performers, though.  

7 minutes ago, Just Here said:

I would just like to offer a thought. What if the scoring elements were removed completely and DCI became a non-competitive entertainment activity?

That suggestion comes up on occasion.  The usual consensus ?  The strive for the prize is a large part of the performer motivation.  If there is no rating of excellence, why bother working to achieve it?  The corps placements yield $$, so there is that. 

3 minutes ago, c mor said:

That suggestion comes up on occasion.  The usual consensus ?  The strive for the prize is a large part of the performer motivation.  If there is no rating of excellence, why bother working to achieve it?  The corps placements yield $$, so there is that. 

I will disagree with the consensus on motivation. There are simply too many corps that have no realistic chance to win a championship, but continue to fill spaces in their corps every year. The reality is that most entertainers and performers do so because it fulfills a desire with in them. Most actors will never when an academy award, but yet they keep acting. Indeed, most actors won't get nominated just like most corps will never be in the top three. Most drum corps shows I have enjoyed over the years haven't won and have had no chance to win, but I listen to them over and over again.

1 hour ago, Just Here said:

I will disagree with the consensus on motivation. There are simply too many corps that have no realistic chance to win a championship, but continue to fill spaces in their corps every year. The reality is that most entertainers and performers do so because it fulfills a desire with in them. Most actors will never when an academy award, but yet they keep acting. Indeed, most actors won't get nominated just like most corps will never be in the top three. Most drum corps shows I have enjoyed over the years haven't won and have had no chance to win, but I listen to them over and over again.

Why did you march?

Just now, c mor said:

Why did you march?

Well...that was many years ago now, but I can honestly tell you that my band director recommended it so that I would gain some confidence as a musician. He believed I was a better player than I thought I was. Ultimately, he was wrong but encouraging.

9 minutes ago, Just Here said:

Well...that was many years ago now, but I can honestly tell you that my band director recommended it so that I would gain some confidence as a musician. He believed I was a better player than I thought I was. Ultimately, he was wrong but encouraging.

...Did your skill levels increase?

I was able to play more in tune and my tone quality was much better, but I was a mediocre player and never marched well. In other words, my ability to go to another corps of the time that was higher was less than 50/50.

Edited by Just Here