DCI Scoring methodology

9 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Technically, as crazy as this may sound, GE actually has absolutely nothing to do with crowd reaction. As it was recently explained to me here, a corps GE score should be identical in an empty stadium as it is on finals night. It is what it is, apparently.

Well, "audience engagement" is literally on the sheets, but it is a little bit like a democratic republic as opposed to a direct democracy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Well, "audience engagement" is literally on the sheets, but it is a little bit like a democratic republic as opposed to a direct democracy.

But DCI is neither system. While the audience can, I suppose, sort of 'vote' through buying or not buying a ticket, they have no direct say in scoring and no direct representation on the adjudicating panel. In that sense DCI adjudication recognizing 'audience engagement' is more like a Banana Republic.

On 8/3/2017 at 7:35 AM, MikeD said:

But deciding that the spot deserved a tick was a subjective decision...plus in a group tick, how MANY tenths to assign was also subjective.

This is so silly but I’ll play

So in the same situation, how do you know how much it will effect the build up?

Both systems are flawed, both are subjective and both are still used together as a tic will down rate a build up.

I just don’t get why the anti-tic zealots are so sure their system is prefect when both systems have the same human factor of subjectivity, they act as if build up made everything accurate and fair. Wrong !

Going away from tic was that start of massive, musical watering and getting away from music in favor of visual

and no, I'm not saying bring back the tic, just be real

• Like 2

4 hours ago, cowtown said:

Both systems are flawed, both are subjective and both are still used together as a tic will down rate a build up.

I just don’t get why the anti-tic zealots are so sure their system is prefect when both systems have the same human factor of subjectivity, they act as if build up made everything accurate and fair. Wrong !

Going away from tic was that start of massive, musical watering and getting away from music in favor of visual

I'm for that.  How do we get there?  I would love for there to be no cloud of doubt over the results.  Can someone who hasn't been a corps member really "know" what is demanding and/or challenging with respect to performing a skill?  How do you mitigate bias toward the organization of which you were a member?  Or, their rival?

Can the fans rise up and boycott until an independent "judging association" of some form or another is tasked with rendering rates & ranks without fear of retribution???

Just asking questions...

...and judges note errors,  "That flam passage lacked clarity".  

21 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Actually, that's pretty dead-on.

16 minutes ago, Schnitzel said:

Actually, that's pretty dead-on.

Actually not even close. To even be a democratic-republic type system those on the panel representing the audience engagement would have to be placed on the panel by the audience.  As it stands, DCI (which is the member corps) place them on the panel then have them evaluate what they deem to be audience engagement. Like I said before, that is like a Banana Republic.

35 minutes ago, Stu said:

Actually not even close. To even be a democratic-republic type system those on the panel representing the audience engagement would have to be placed on the panel by the audience.  As it stands, DCI (which is the member corps) place them on the panel then have them evaluate what they deem to be audience engagement. Like I said before, that is like a Banana Republic.

Okay - I defer to your superior intellect and experience.

57 minutes ago, Schnitzel said:

Okay - I defer to your superior intellect and experience.

Has nothing to do with me, my intellect, nor my experience. It is just a fact that the DCI audience does not place a person on the DCI panel to represent them and their engagement, but DCI itself, which is the member corps, designates a person on the panel secured by DCI to evaluate and represent the audience engagement.

Edited by Stu

9 hours ago, cowtown said:

You said "To an extent it was objective..." which triggered my response. No, it was not objective at all.

Today's system is subjective, of course.

Going away from the tic led to more demanding shows, not less. It was quite common for corps to take out the garden hose back in the tick days to eliminate errors. Eliminating tics led to more horizontal brass arranging and less vertical lining up of the parts (which made it easier to clean attacks and releases). Much more interesting music, IMO.  

And no, it did not cause any movement to visual and away from music.  

• Like 1

On 8/4/2017 at 7:42 PM, MikeD said:

You said "To an extent it was objective..." which triggered my response. No, it was not objective at all.

Today's system is subjective, of course.

Going away from the tic led to more demanding shows, not less. It was quite common for corps to take out the garden hose back in the tick days to eliminate errors. Eliminating tics led to more horizontal brass arranging and less vertical lining up of the parts (which made it easier to clean attacks and releases). Much more interesting music, IMO.  

And no, it did not cause any movement to visual and away from music.  

yes it did, look at the wimpy drum books Cadets started using as they started moving their drumline around and then their switch to mellos, they watered stuff before it hit the field so they could pull off their visuals