SCV and BD in top 2...really?!!

16 minutes ago, Treefidy said:

As a Hornline member, your hip movements don't have to look like that of a dancer, they just need to be unison and look fluid...

Actually, if you want the top scores, they do. Do you have any idea how much time the Blue Devils put into movement other than straight marching. Go and watch a show warmup some time. Todd Ryan is a genius.

5 minutes ago, Treefidy said:

Have you? When and where?

Lol. Do you want an ID card with that too?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Treefidy said:

Have you? When and where?

Blue devils in the 80's. Some were just basic coordinated, timed horn movements during park and blow. Others included the basic body movements added in 1988. These are far more simplistic than today, but required more attention because, as I said beforehand, it was not a natural movement for us. Practice started in early camps doing warmups and aerobics with the guard. None of this was anything like what is done now, but back then the caption WAS focused on marching and credit was not given as much for a variety of movements. I give a TON of credit to Todd Ryan for what he is able to do with this corps.

how about you?

4 hours ago, Treefidy said:

I'm open to being proven wrong. The problem is, nobody wants to attempt it...

Nah, you made a sweeping generalization about BD fans and basically dismissed anything they'd have to say about difficulty before they even did.

Not sure I'd call that being receptive to anything.

FWIW, I love SCV's show and can't say I'd be disappointed if they took gold. I don't think your posts in this thread are doing them any favors though.

Edited by dcsnare93
  • Like 3

Just now, Everyfan said:

Blue devils in the 80's. Some were just basic coordinated, timed horn movements during park and blow. Others included the basic body movements added in 1988. These are far more simplistic than today, but required more attention because, as I said beforehand, it was not a natural movement for us. Practice started in early camps doing warmups and aerobics with the guard. None of this was anything like what is done now, but back then the caption WAS focused on marching and credit was not given as much for a variety of movements. I give a TON of credit to Todd Ryan for what he is able to do with this corps.

how about you?

03, 04 Vanguard. You should attempt to march Pathways while playing your horn...

1 minute ago, Kamarag said:

Guy who posts anonymously demands credentials from another guy who posts anonymously.

Logical fallacy much?

Personally, I removed the ID from my sig since it usually just created animosity from some. Apparently, I managed to create animosity with Treefidy anyway.

• Like 1

BD and SCV are in first right now because they are the cleanest corps that also have strong GE (discounting who has the strongest GE). Crown is clean but has weak GE. Bloo is dirty but has high GE potential (GE isn't counted unless it's readable). That's what it boils down to. If Bloo cleans up fast, they might be able to challenge BD and SCV (they'll need a LOT of cleaning though, not sure if it's possible with the time left). I don't think Crown can challenge since they are already clean and it's too late to do huge show overhauls to improve GE. 

On another note, I did a playing-while-marching timing and analysis in the BD design thread, which I think would be more unbiased in this particular discussion. 

Edited by pudding
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Everyfan said:

Cool. Which of those years did you win visual?

Oh, we had to win Visual for me to comment on the issue...

I figured being top 3 less than 30 years ago might be more relevant to the conversation. Silly me...