Enough Judging Conspiracy Theories

31 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

Is a 19.6 a 19.6 or not? Either we can have faith that the score would stand regardless of the judge, or not. But if we can't, the number that any judge gives means absolutely nothing.

A 19.6 means nothing, it is only relative to another corps. A judge doesn't judge see a performance and say "that's a 19.6." That would be ridiculous. 

A judge puts a corps in a ballpark, and then compares that corps to the corps that came before it. This is why a 20.0 score rarely happens until the very last corps. 

6 minutes ago, DeusExGreenMachina said:

Sorry I don't mean to sound pedantic or rude, but have you participated in critique before?

You are not being rude at all. No I have not been to a critique. My teaching experience is limited to band camps. I usually am not involved in season. But the reason for my question is that sure you can question a number from a judge on a given night and get good feedback, but not see that same judge in that same caption in weeks or even the rest of the season. So the purpose would be more educational than competitive

1 minute ago, Cappybara said:

A judge puts a corps in a ballpark, and then compares that corps to the corps that came before it. This is why a 20.0 score rarely happens until the very last corps. 

Ok.  Again.  We judge the sheets.

When it comes to Preliminary competitions vs Finals competitions:

1) Prelims goal: Get the right units into finals via proper ranking

2) Finals goal: Get the right units rated properly

A perfect score means that this is the best thing we've ever seen.  Ever.  In our caption.  You know how much of a jerk I am... Been judging for many years.  Have yet to give a perfect score.

1 minute ago, ContraFart said:

Because when pitchers throws a strike it should be a strike in the same way a 19.6 should be a 19.6. When you give deference to superstars (which happens to be the biggest argument in pro sports and in the same way in DCI) it eliminates the integrity of the results.

The more humaness you remove, the less human the game becomes. Part of the strategy, part of the skill, part of the 'true fun essence' of baseball is working in and around human tendencies, including the tendencies of the umps. Take that away and you move toward boring electronic calls and perfect robotic play. It is in the imperfections that make excellence in play, evrn in music, not perfections.

1 minute ago, Stu said:

The more humaness you remove, the less human the game becomes. Part of the strategy, part of the skill, part of the 'true fun essence' of baseball is working in and around human tendencies, including the tendencies of the umps. Take that away and you move toward boring electronic calls and perfect robotic play. It is in the imperfections that make excellence in play, evrn in music, not perfections.

Yes that is the standard argument against, and the same argument was made in tennis, but the end result made tennis better.

2 minutes ago, DeusExGreenMachina said:

Ok.  Again.  We judge the sheets.

When it comes to Preliminary competitions vs Finals competitions:

1) Prelims goal: Get the right units into finals via proper ranking

2) Finals goal: Get the right units rated properly

A perfect score means that this is the best thing we've ever seen.  Ever.  In our caption.  You know how much of a jerk I am... Been judging for many years.  Have yet to give a perfect score.

I never implied that you don't judge to the sheets. But a judge does not just see a corps and say "that's a 19.6" vs a "that's a 19.55."

there has to be some sort of context to those very specific numbers 

7 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

A 19.6 means nothing, it is only relative to another corps. A judge doesn't judge see a performance and say "that's a 19.6." That would be ridiculous. 

If that is the case then the scores mean absolutely nothing.

5 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

You are not being rude at all.

Thank you.

5 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

you can question a number from a judge on a given night and get good feedback, but not see that same judge in that same caption in weeks or even the rest of the season. So the purpose would be more educational than competitive

It's usually both.

• Like 1

Just now, Cappybara said:

I never implied that you don't judge to the sheets. But a judge does not just see a corps and say "that's a 19.6" vs a "that's a 19.55."

19.6 vs 19.55 is an acceptable variance. 19.6 vs 19.1 is not.

1 minute ago, Cappybara said:

Sure there is.  Composition (Vocabulary) vs. Excellence (Execution).