When did halftime get hijacked?

14 hours ago, Stu said:

It is a Football game played on a Football field at a Football halftime.  The band enters the field at the half and instead of supporting the school and team with halftime music full of school spirit instead performs ‘Le Faune court dans les bois’ a-la BOA esoteric style.  Then ya’all wonder why the band gets no support and respect back from the school administration and athletic department.

Supporting the school goes BOTH ways...like allowing the band -- which, contrary to what some footballers think IS a school program - the chance to strut THEIR stuff.  Any other way is just wrong.

Reminds me of the student drum corps when I was in tech school.  We were tasked with playing at a base parade one time -- supporting the school, as it were -- but were told not to bring the color guard.

Our CO, Capt. Cox, flatly refused to leave the guard behind....it was all of us or NONE of us.   If they didn't want the full corp, they could use a tape player.

The full corps went.

4 minutes ago, 84BDsop said:

Supporting the school goes BOTH ways...like allowing the band -- which, contrary to what some footballers think IS a school program - the chance to strut THEIR stuff.  Any other way is just wrong.

Reminds me of the student drum corps when I was in tech school.  We were tasked with playing at a base parade one time -- supporting the school, as it were -- but were told not to bring the color guard.

Our CO, Capt. Cox, flatly refused to leave the guard behind....it was all of us or NONE of us.   If they didn't want the full corp, they could use a tape player.

The full corps went.

The band's day to get community and school support while pushing the artistic limits in musical endeavors is Saturday at the contests where the focus is on them. Friday night focus is, and should be, on the football team.

Just now, Stu said:

The band's day to get community and school support while pushing the artistic limits in musical endeavors is Saturday at the contests where the focus is on them. Friday night focus is, and should be, on the football team.

They need to be in front of their own student body, Stu....you're basically proposing a "separate but equal" sitch...which is NOT the case.

22 minutes ago, 84BDsop said:

They need to be in front of their own student body, Stu....you're basically proposing a "separate but equal" sitch...which is NOT the case.

Nope, I am suggesting that halftime actually got hijacked when band directors decided it was a self-serving stage to perform their artistic contest material as dress run-throughs and educate the audience on the aspects of musical arts instead of focusing on entertaining and supporting the football crowd on Friday nights.

Edited by Stu

15 minutes ago, Stu said:

So basically all students are equal, but some (football players) are more equal than others? 

School spirit is about the school as a whole, and events like this are supposed to be a vehicle in which to drive that school spirit for the ENTIRE student body. So don't go to support the cheerleaders, the band, the JROTC color-guard who is presenting the flag(s), the band, or any other student organizations helping to make Friday night's festivities even better. 

7 minutes ago, Stu said:

Nope, I am suggesting that halftime actually got hijacked when band directors decided it was a self-serving stage to perform their artistic contest material as dress run-throughs and educate the audience on the aspects of musical arts instead of focusing on entertaining and supporting the football crowd on Friday nights.

So nice to know you think the band program exists for the pleasure of the footballer crowd and not, perhaps, for their OWN development.

I will state it again....support goes BOTH WAYS.

Just now, ibexpercussion said:

So basically all students are equal, but some (football players) are more equal than others? 

School spirit is about the school as a whole, and events like this are supposed to be a vehicle in which to drive that school spirit for the ENTIRE student body. So don't go to support the cheerleaders, the band, the JROTC color-guard who is presenting the flag(s), the band, or any other student organizations helping to make Friday night's festivities even better. 

Ok then, everything should also be treated equally at the band contest on Saturday. All of the community and school spirit should be 'just as focused and equal' on the scholastic aspects of baseball, football, soccer, track, theater, choir, cheerleading, basketball, ... at the band contest. Nope!!!!! Band contest should focus school and community spirit on the band; basketball games should focus school and community spirit on basketball; etc..

9 minutes ago, 84BDsop said:

So nice to know you think the band program exists for the pleasure of the footballer crowd and not, perhaps, for their OWN development.

I will state it again....support goes BOTH WAYS.

On Friday night, halftime at a football game, on a football field, yep, the band should be all about supporting the football team. That is what I am saying. On Saturday, performance at a music contest, on the field as a musical stage, the focus and support should be all about the band. Yep, that is also what I am saying. Support does go both ways.

Edited by Stu

I just want halftime back to let my students perform in front of a much larger, and supportive, crowd than having to do it after the game, or not at all.

6 minutes ago, Stu said:

On Friday night, halftime at a football game, on a football field, yep, the band should be all about supporting the football team. That is what I am saying. On Saturday, performance at a music contest, on the field as a musical stage, the focus and support should be all about the band. Yep, that is also what I am saying. Support does go both ways.

A band at a music contest is not the same as the football team at home.   Telling the band "yeah...go do your marching thing" at a contest us NOT the same as giving them the time to perform in front of THEIR OWN STUDENT BODY at a football game.