Full Shows for Prelims

On 7/2/2018 at 3:09 PM, BigW said:

I think it depended on the corps and their situation around that 1975-1980 era. Some would cut the concert also to try and save ticks if they were on the bubble. Jim F. would have more details on that.

1974 we did concert at Prelims but only 15 corps at Prelims. Blanking out after that. But remember working on drill move for CG in 1977 because they moved during concert. Maybe we weren’t sure so worked it out anyway.

ps corps did not have a choice DCA directed concert or not

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Thanks 1

On 7/4/2018 at 9:43 AM, Fran Haring said:

The whole tick system, to me, was more subjective than the current system. And at times, a complete joke.  LOL.

Those wild score swings... judges either ticking mistakes that weren't there, or letting blatant stuff go.  And just the logistics of a judge writing down a tick for an error... how much stuff did that judge miss while writing, or while not in position to catch things?

Then there were the "tolerance levels" that seemingly changed for championship weekend, or sometimes from prelims to finals. LOL.  When a given mistake the week or two before was no longer a mistake... even though it still was.  :laughing:

That being said... I'm  not trading in any of the shows my corps won, in junior or all-age corps. :tongue:

Tolerance level... Red Carpet Association vs DCA and I marched  both lol.

Still have memories of Hershman screaming at practice “DCA this weekend, execute ###### execute”

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

ps corps did not have a choice DCA directed concert or not

Ahhah! I just remember crazy stories from people who you could prolly guess as to who was telling me stuff, Jim. Stuff like Larry yelling WE'RE CUTTING THE CONCERT! and everyone grumbling, etc.

25 minutes ago, BigW said:

Ahhah! I just remember crazy stories from people who you could prolly guess as to who was telling me stuff, Jim. Stuff like Larry yelling WE'RE CUTTING THE CONCERT! and everyone grumbling, etc.

Ok gotcha now. Yeah we cut the concert but that was because DCA decided no concert at Prelims for all corps. Slight memory of people yelling NO CONCERT as we went into Aquinas/Hollander in Rochester.

for the record 75 and 76 would have been a concert of gospel like Gonna Build A Mountain which wasn’t that bad but very different for the day. Only got drum corps loud at the very end

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Thanks 1

Well, looks like this isn't going to get resolved. I know as fact that in 73, ours was an abbreviated show. Unless you had that as an option which, I don't know why you wouldn't take advantage of it if you could.

Have 70 or 71 dvd at home of Westshoremen at prelims(Haas family product). No concert so about 9 minutes long

• Like 1

Someone needs to post prelims videos from those days, if possible.

OK... maybe Super 8 films.  :tongue:

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BigW said:

Seen this, dug it. Was Jim Kirkwood in the corps at that time?

you know the short bass drummer