What Happened to Tailgating Drum Corp Style

1 hour ago, Bluzes said:

I try not to poke fun at individuals but the hive mind is dci. I am and always will be upset with dci for ruining the Rose Bowl show. Wait all year for drum corps didn't have the all season coverage on TV back then. Had a great trip planned flew into Vegas with friends rented cars drove through the desert to get there. Everything was fine on Thursday till right before the Troopers. When the lights came on a horrible buzz emanating from loose laminations in the transformers placed me right back at work. Knew we would have this all weekend, totally unacceptable. When the corps had a chance to shine in Hollywood they had that to deal with. It's fun to read posts here about how past shows stick in one's head, well that's a real sticking point for me.

Still not 100% sure of it. 

Is it as simple as Hive Mind being your nickname for DCI? As opposed to some kind of rationale? 

31 minutes ago, mingusmonk said:

Still not 100% sure of it. 

Is it as simple as Hive Mind being your nickname for DCI? As opposed to some kind of rationale? 

Posting is like holding a newborn very tenuous and fragile. That's why I don't go near them. Posting, I am trying to get better at but have a very strange sense of humor and poke fun at just about everything in life. You learn one misstep in your post and your whole point is lost. Won't use "hive mind" anymore how about "collaborated thought international". Wish the housing issue was this easy to solve.  

Edited by Bluzes

14 hours ago, Bluzes said:

Back in the day when pulling into a close by parking lot, there would be gatherings of fans just blasting drum corps from pretty obnoxious stereo's. You could join in on the fun fans would come and make requests of corps they were members of back in the day and out popped an old cassette of that show. We haven't seen that in about 20 years except for the crowd we hang with we still do it, it's part of the experience that we will not let die. Once we met at a hotel for a friends wedding (no show) and did that with folks coming out of their rooms yelling what the heck is that music? It's a tradition we have no plans of letting go.  

many shows are held at schools, and drinking on school grounds isn't acceptable. thats killed a lot of tailgating

11 hours ago, Bluzes said:

Yep remember driving around the park corps getting ready all over the place. Allentown having such a large high school stadium always wondered why their mascot was the Canaries don't exactly scare the bejesus out of you. Did they ever change that?

there's two schools that use that stadium, one the canaries. why?

the only bird not afraid of certain storms

6 hours ago, Bluzes said:

I try not to poke fun at individuals but the hive mind is dci. I am and always will be upset with dci for ruining the Rose Bowl show. Wait all year for drum corps didn't have the all season coverage on TV back then. Had a great trip planned flew into Vegas with friends rented cars drove through the desert to get there. Everything was fine on Thursday till right before the Troopers. When the lights came on a horrible buzz emanating from loose laminations in the transformers placed me right back at work. Knew we would have this all weekend, totally unacceptable. When the corps had a chance to shine in Hollywood they had that to deal with. It's fun to read posts here about how past shows stick in one's head, well that's a real sticking point for me.

a lot of what you attribute to DCI actually isn't their call. For instance in Allentown, the CITY cracked down on using the park to party. All those cars on that grass over two days...with rain many years....it destroyed the place. I remember in 2000 going there in September and the grass still hasn't recovered.  Also, you have to take into account liability....many places cracked down because if something happened, of course people wouldnt take responsibility and sue the venue. You want to get stupid drunk and blare music in PA, tailgate at an Eagles game.

11 hours ago, Bluzes said:

Posting is like holding a newborn very tenuous and fragile. That's why I don't go near them. Posting, I am trying to get better at but have a very strange sense of humor and poke fun at just about everything in life. You learn one misstep in your post and your whole point is lost. Won't use "hive mind" anymore how about "collaborated thought international". Wish the housing issue was this easy to solve.  

Actually you claim humor but have a pattern of blaming dci for everything you don’t like..... even when it’s not in their control 

Oh yeah: if dci is so anti tailgating then why did Dan Potter devote significant podcast time to Allentown tailgating a few years ago?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

Actually you claim humor but have a pattern of blaming dci for everything you don’t like..... even when it’s not in their control 

Was also willing to help them financially in the housing thread and have donated to friends of dci in the past. In most cases, the not in their control is relative to the way things are now, that need change. Am flattered that you are tracking my pattern, It's a pattern of questioning authority looking inside myself for answers and knocking down doors to drive change when necessary. Maybe you don't see that some things need to change, I do and am not going away. Thanks

10 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Also, you have to take into account liability.

Yes, liability is a bigger issue today than it's ever been. However, liability does not have blinders on and I fear that some of the issues, policies and actions dci demonstrates may leave them holding the bag on liability. Not something any of us wants to see.