Screamin' Solos

Lynkin

hey pooh bear....i marched 3 years with Beth, not really a screamer on the soprano, but a great trumpet player, well schooled. and Diane Fashing was the other gal that solo'd in C1S. Diane was more of a screamer. i think she played the written double C's that year.

when are we gonna see you this year? we need to have some 'quality' time.

hey Rich - didn't mean to leave ya out of this list - it's just there were so many in BD and the west coast.. #### I even forgot some good friends.. Duane Schimmel, Jay Long, Barry Trent, Larry Dodd, Todd Tanji.. you know some of these dudes.  Diane Fashing - #### of a player.  Beware 6/22/02.. :D

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone should own a copy of future corps playing la fiesta  

]:-)  ]:-)  ]:-)  ]:-)  ]:-)  ]:-)  ]:-)  ]:-)  ]:-)  ]:-)  ]:-)  ]:-)

There isnt a horn among them that doesnt scream hard core in that tune. Im really not kidding... go D/L a copy right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good topic.

I'd agree with all the ones listed so far. I love the old BD screaming solo's, lip trills etc... that were mentioned earlier.

I'd also like to add Edwin Bogart who marched from Madison 94-97 (good years). He had the Double C in 94, was in several features in 95,96. And shared the duet in 97 in the opener. Although, not as loud as Jon Schipper I would say Edwin was more consistant (all around) and could technically play extremely well.  Madison has a great history of screamers, from Metzger (70's), to Shaun Owens(early 80's), to Morgan Larson (83-86?), Shipper (91-96), Bogart (94-97), Leon Ybarra (97-98), now they have Lee Kolez (97-02), Jesse Cook (99-02), and Casey Johnson (99-02) just to name a few.

I'd say BD is also up there too. They had this one guy who I knew from MSU, his name was Jason Lichau who could wail double C's. When he was MSU (92-95) and their marching band played the Downey arrangement of "When a Man loves a woman" he took the first lip trill lick up an octave then cut out for the other trumpet players to play their harmonized lick then joined on the final high note. Unreal, I'd say better than BD's trio (barely). BD also had a small dude, Scott Stewart, if I am remembering correctly who nailed the #### out of Double C's.

Also check out Groove is in the Heart and Blues in the Night (with Mark Zausse) from Future Corps. Wicked!!!

Well, mrshowfan... Then you'll probably like the fact that Jubal Drum and Buglecorps from Dordrecht, the Netherlands is going to play in DCI this year ! Edwin Bogert is still marching and playing some pretty solos in this years show "Variations in Jazz" Also Paul Vernes (lead sop Madison 97-98-99 I believe) and Albert Dijkshoorn (lead sop Madison 91, played the high note at the beginning of the show) are still marching and playing the highest notes in Europe !!!!

Hope to see you at one of our shows.

last reply - it's a ##### growing old and forgetting people - Pete Burneko, Doug Huras, Larry Pawlowski, Billy Roetzer, Dave Mitchell, Jim Sobacki (more technical)

Jeffsjetta listed some GREAT senior corps soloist.

The Top three pleasures in life.

3.  Hearing some fine screamin' trumpet/soprano parts

2.  Playing some fine screamin' trumpet/soprano parts

1.  Sex

Sometimes I get 1 & 2 mixed up.

I'm working on my upper register.  I'm getting some fine sounding high G's (both on trumpet and soprano).  Squeaking out of few double C's.  Now I need to be able to do it without the headaches (it's getting better).

I've played with Pawlowski, Fererra, and Sobacki - all fine players.

I have known a few of these dudes in my lifetime - How's this for a lead soprano line...  Chris Metzger, Dave Tippett, Tommy Meredith, Robert "Cisco" Riviera, Dave Kisting (technical chops also), Chris Ferrara, Jeff Kievit, Greg "Harpo" Blum, Chuck Naffier, CHEZ, Larry Dastrup (no one ad libs like Larry), Art West, Jeff Preistly...All of these dudes could scream their ##### off..  and the best female screamers I have ever heard - Lynne Marcil, Beth Gieck, and the soloist in Channel One Suite from '86 Blue Devils - sorry - forgot her name.

Bonnie Ott didn't really scream - but I'll list her anyway.

Bonnie Ott:  My personal idol in the '70's.  She ruled for me.

-Terri

last reply - it's a ##### growing old and forgetting people - Pete Burneko, Doug Huras, Larry Pawlowski, Billy Roetzer, Dave Mitchell, Jim Sobacki (more technical)

Yeah!  Go Larry, Bill R. and Sobacki.  (I always call him Sobacki, hehe!)

-Terri

Yeah!  Go Larry, Bill R. and Sobacki.  (I always call him Sobacki, hehe!)

-Terri

Oh Gawd, I left off Mitchell!!!!!!!!!!

Go Dave!  You rule, dude!!!!!!!!

My bad!!

-Terri