Screamin' Solos

Lynkin

Good topic.

I'd agree with all the ones listed so far. I love the old BD screaming solo's, lip trills etc... that were mentioned earlier.

I'd also like to add Edwin Bogart who marched from Madison 94-97 (good years). He had the Double C in 94, was in several features in 95,96. And shared the duet in 97 in the opener. Although, not as loud as Jon Schipper I would say Edwin was more consistant (all around) and could technically play extremely well.  Madison has a great history of screamers, from Metzger (70's), to Shaun Owens(early 80's), to Morgan Larson (83-86?), Shipper (91-96), Bogart (94-97), Leon Ybarra (97-98), now they have Lee Kolez (97-02), Jesse Cook (99-02), and Casey Johnson (99-02) just to name a few.

I'd say BD is also up there too. They had this one guy who I knew from MSU, his name was Jason Lichau who could wail double C's. When he was MSU (92-95) and their marching band played the Downey arrangement of "When a Man loves a woman" he took the first lip trill lick up an octave then cut out for the other trumpet players to play their harmonized lick then joined on the final high note. Unreal, I'd say better than BD's trio (barely). BD also had a small dude, Scott Stewart, if I am remembering correctly who nailed the #### out of Double C's.

Also check out Groove is in the Heart and Blues in the Night (with Mark Zausse) from Future Corps. Wicked!!!

Ahhh...Morgan Larson. Now there's a name that doesn't get brought up much any more..

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

last reply - it's a ##### growing old and forgetting people - Pete Burneko, Doug Huras, Larry Pawlowski, Billy Roetzer, Dave Mitchell, Jim Sobacki (more technical)

Jeffsjetta listed some GREAT senior corps soloist.

Yeah!  Go Larry, Bill R. and Sobacki.  (I always call him Sobacki, hehe!)

-Terri

Oh Gawd, I left off Mitchell!!!!!!!!!!

Go Dave!  You rule, dude!!!!!!!!

My bad!!

-Terri

Terri--

How could you forget Dave first time around? You only march with him...

Oops. I forgot to mention Flip who was a sop soloists in 91-92 (I think he marched 89-92) Also Emmitt Lincoln (I hope spelled that right). He was a soloist in 93-94

Ahhh...those Madison sopranos. Good times!

Sly

Oops. I forgot to mention Flip who was a sop soloists in 91-92 (I think he marched 89-92) Also Emmitt Lincoln (I hope spelled that right). He was a soloist in 93-94

Ahhh...those Madison sopranos. Good times!

Sly

Emmett Lincoln---correct spelling with E.... I've had the biggest crush on him since I first saw him when I was like 9....He was the god of soloists to me and a bunch of caps girls..

The best screaming solo I happened to hear just happened this weekend.

Cleaning drill in Bo Rap (not boe's), it was a drums only run of a set into the first big impact. Well, Rich D. did'nt hear that and it was drums only and played the #### out of his upper lead part. Very cool, major impact...drums only...and one screaming sop just melting your ears with his sound.

Rich...you got some lungs and chops man! It made my day! B)

and Casey Johnson (99-02) just to name a few.

Casey Johnson is indeed a great player (I marched with him last fall at SWT), but he aged out last summer.

Around 1980 - 1981 I had the pleasure of playing behind Shaun Owens, who went on to a great stint with Madison, and Jeff Gibbens of Empire fame in the last reminants of the original Erie Thunderbirds. These guys made it even more fun to be in corps!!

If I recall at the time, Shaun was the better technician, but Jeff had the endurance. But both of them were great fun to watch and listen to, especially when they would start to duel - one would start, then the other would try to do one better. Funny thing was how effortless they could rip. They made it look no harder than taking a breath, and sometimes it started immediately after the horns came out of the cases.

..it was a pleasure!

Good topic.

I'd agree with all the ones listed so far. I love the old BD screaming solo's, lip trills etc... that were mentioned earlier.

I'd also like to add Edwin Bogart who marched from Madison 94-97 (good years). He had the Double C in 94, was in several features in 95,96. And shared the duet in 97 in the opener. Although, not as loud as Jon Schipper I would say Edwin was more consistant (all around) and could technically play extremely well.  Madison has a great history of screamers, from Metzger (70's), to Shaun Owens(early 80's), to Morgan Larson (83-86?), Shipper (91-96), Bogart (94-97), Leon Ybarra (97-98), now they have Lee Kolez (97-02), Jesse Cook (99-02), and Casey Johnson (99-02) just to name a few.

I'd say BD is also up there too. They had this one guy who I knew from MSU, his name was Jason Lichau who could wail double C's. When he was MSU (92-95) and their marching band played the Downey arrangement of "When a Man loves a woman" he took the first lip trill lick up an octave then cut out for the other trumpet players to play their harmonized lick then joined on the final high note. Unreal, I'd say better than BD's trio (barely). BD also had a small dude, Scott Stewart, if I am remembering correctly who nailed the #### out of Double C's.

Also check out Groove is in the Heart and Blues in the Night (with Mark Zausse) from Future Corps. Wicked!!!

Ahhh...Morgan Larson. Now there's a name that doesn't get brought up much any more..

Scott Stewart marched Freelancers 88-92 and started being a soloist in '90. He moved to BD in '93 after an alleged dispute with Freelancers staff, if I remember the situation correctly. He then marched '93 and '95 BD, I believe.

After that, Brian Hodgkins had to step into the lead soloist role, which was really rugged (although he did a fine job) in '93 as the solos (and the show design) was written around Scott as the main soloist. Brian continued with Freelancers through the fold in '95 and ended up marching Boston '95 and '96.

River City Regiment from Sacramento, CA is now privileged to have Brian Hodgkins as our soloist. He has recently been promoted to horn sargeant for our line.

I'm happy to have Brian helping me out with the line. Not only is he a good friend, but a fabulous player. His playing had really matured over the years. He should turn professional.