Plastic Horns?

16 minutes ago, DCVNVET said:

Correct BW + was trying to stay on the light side with commentary.  I know my place in the pecking order:exclamation:

You could be more right than you know if someone would come up with some type of composite that would work well enough to be useful and effective.

Great resin line, carbon fiber... FRP... :biggrin:

Wondering even now if it might be lighter and simpler to build the horn if certain bracings or say... valve casings were made of those materials. Afraid to know the cost, but knowing BD and System Blue, who knows!?

Edited by BigW

2 hours ago, BigW said:

You could be more right than you know if someone would come up with some type of composite that would work well enough to be useful and effective.

Great resin line, carbon fiber... FRP... :biggrin:

Wondering even now if it might be lighter and simpler to build the horn if certain bracings or say... valve casings were made of those materials. Afraid to know the cost, but knowing BD and System Blue, who knows!?

In the world of custom billiards cues, we use linen based phenolics for that type of thing. I generally use them for anything that requires that the part vibrates at a certain frequency such as ferrules or joints. I even add in phenolic plugs in areas of the cue that could vibrate apart over long lengths of time (usually decades.) Linen based phenolics such as masons micarta are nearly indestructible and vibrate almost identically to ivory.