what are the most popular snare head choices this

RichDeCapio

i just put a white max on my snare and love it, clear on bottom soudns fine but i like the coated. i personally like the scott johnsons, casellas, and jeff moores by pro-mark. although i try not to get caught up too much wtih sticks, u should be able to play with anything. :fight:

The most popular heads being used up-to-date are Remo BlackMax, WhiteMax, and Tenduras. Some lines are using low collar marching Remo Snare Side Ambassadors in a clear film. Some are also using K Falam II Kevlar snare sides for extra crispy sound. Personally Remo Ambassador Snare Side clears with the low collar are the perfect head to pair with any of the Max series to achieve a great sound that projects well.

From Evans heads people are using the newly designed Evans MX snare batters with the aramid fiber snare side heads. Aramid fiber is some what like Kevlar with woven fibers but give more and resonate a bit more. But with a snare side head give really isn't an issue because hopefully you aren't playing on the snare side.

We used Evans this summer and I thought their bottom heads ruined the sound of the drum (pearl ffx). After experimenting, we found that the evans top heads (which are quite durable due to less tension) with Ludwig Xtra-thin bottom heads bring out more strainer sound than the "kevlar" (yes i read the aramid post up above, but the label on the head in the package says kevlar). We also noticed a SUBSTANTIAL change in volume output (meaning there is more of it) which forced our boys (and 1 girl) to play much more musically.

As for sticks, take your pick: Johnson, Hardimon, Moore, Coolie, SF, Angst... the list goes on.

Best,

CJT

NICK TAYLOR! EMAIL ME AND TELL ME HOW YOUR SUMMER W/CAP SOUND WENT!!! I'M ANXIOUS TO HEAR!

I'm in a pipe band, so we have a little different take on the snare sound.

We tried a few snares on White Max aramid heads as an experiment, and found that while they're bouncier and have a wonderful feel, they just can't be cranked up to the tension that the Tendura's can. They also never got the same level of crisp attack to them.

So, we're going back to all Tendonitis, er... Tendura heads...

Mike

REAL old fart input - get rid of these current snares, and get some vintage 15" snares with guts, tighten 'em up properly, put some lacquer on the guts (spray works!), get a decent Remo marching head if they still make 15" heads, and you'll get the right snare sound that can finally be heard in the stands!

REAL old fart input - get rid of these current snares, and get some vintage 15" snares with guts, tighten 'em up properly, put some lacquer on the guts (spray works!), get a decent Remo marching head if they still make 15" heads, and you'll get the right snare sound that can finally be heard in the stands!

I don't know about you but I can hear the current snares in the stands just fine. If anything the older, larger snare drums wouldn't be heard from the stands because they are way too muddy sounding.

Oh and Remo makes heads from 6" all the way to 40 something " heads