PECKVILLE - Live Stream

1 hour ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Good point. Though some would say that that's what "feeder" corps such as BDB were for. Though with the costs mounting, we seem to be losing many of those corps. I would think corps at the top of the DCI heap would be less apt to have a need for a DCA corps to feed them. Still, if it could happen, it would be a real boost to the activity. 

Battery and Front Ensemble (as well as guard) have the very real advantage of WGI to keep their skills sharp during the "off season." To my knowledge, there is nothing resembling this type of activity for brass. I don't follow WGI because I don't have anyone close to me in town that travels to WGI shows. I'm a drummer (read "pack creature) so I require creatures of my kind to bond with. 

WGI Winds 

7 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

Aren’t the majority of DCA members of like age as those in DCI back in school at that time? That can’t possibly help with recruiting younger high school or college marching band members for those training organizations. 

I know when I started marching DCA in 2004, it was a lot of folks in their 30's and into their 40's. Now, it seems like it's far more age-outs not too far removed from their DCI days or Jr's and Sr's in high school who are trying to get some experience and move up to DCI. The physical demands at this point even in DCA are such that you can't play the old "even if you can't cut the mustard, you can still lick the jar" game. That's why I can't see myself going out for another year (no matter how much I would like to.) 

1 minute ago, Jeff Ream said:

WGI Winds 

I knew if anyone would have an answer WGI wise it would be you Jeff. LOL. So is WGI Winds gaining any traction?

I knew if anyone would have an answer WGI wise it would be you Jeff. LOL. So is WGI Winds gaining any traction?

I can tell you it is in the UK. Cadence and The Company are now WGI Wind units.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, VOReason said:

Understood that corps such a Sky, Hurcs, Tradition, etc., would be shooting themselves in the foot by over programming, however perennial top five programs, that are looking to make some inroads against the total lack of parity that has more or less existed since 2005, have to make more of an effort to give their folks a fighting chance.  Bushwackers had a small corps last season, but that did not stop them from presenting a compelling program, and we have had DCA champs in the past with hornlines that hovered around the 40’ish mark.  If the Bucs can field a corps of 60’ish horns, with a base talent level, and a show that at least approaches the modern paradigm of the activity, the fact that everyone else cannot is killing the circuit.

The total lack of Parity stopped before that. Brigs set undefeated streak records during their patch of Championships that Reading later broke.

6 hours ago, VOReason said:

Understood that corps such a Sky, Hurcs, Tradition, etc., would be shooting themselves in the foot by over programming, however perennial top five programs, that are looking to make some inroads against the total lack of parity that has more or less existed since 2005, have to make more of an effort to give their folks a fighting chance.  Bushwackers had a small corps last season, but that did not stop them from presenting a compelling program, and we have had DCA champs in the past with hornlines that hovered around the 40’ish mark.  If the Bucs can field a corps of 60’ish horns, with a base talent level, and a show that at least approaches the modern paradigm of the activity, the fact that everyone else cannot is killing the circuit.

Normal answers to your comments are this from various competitors. I'll beat them to it:

Shorter season.

Can't get all our percussion and guard in until Indoor season is over.

Somehow, the Bucs manage to still overcome these obstacles.

And yes, Bush was one of my two fave shows from last season along with CV. Dynamic, thoughtful, reached to me on a personal level. The problem was, that show didn't click until Prelims. I saw it the week before at Reading and it was pretty clean but it lacked that snap, that inner dynamism that blew the lid off the program over finals weekend. Had they presented the Prelims performance at the Reading show, easy 4th place IMHO. Digging out to pass Cabs and come within a cat's whisker of Fusion was a real accomplishment. This is another issue I also have. Why go to the regular season contests when most competitors aren't really clicking and then hit their stride only for Championship weekend? I know this is a loaded question and one that might sting for some people... but I've been sitting and observing this for quite awhile and seeing this pattern develop. I've said nothing until I felt I got a more defined conclusion for myself over last year's Championship weekend.

• Like 2

I know when I started marching DCA in 2004, it was a lot of folks in their 30's and into their 40's. Now, it seems like it's far more age-outs not too far removed from their DCI days or Jr's and Sr's in high school who are trying to get some experience and move up to DCI. The physical demands at this point even in DCA are such that you can't play the old "even if you can't cut the mustard, you can still lick the jar" game. That's why I can't see myself going out for another year (no matter how much I would like to.) 

I'll get back to this. I think this is also part of the issue... but nothing can realistically be done about it, which is unfortunate.

13 minutes ago, BigW said:

I'll get back to this. I think this is also part of the issue... but nothing can realistically be done about it, which is unfortunate.

Thanks BigW. And please don't get me wrong. I think it's a great training ground. And in the top DCA corps you've got to have the talent. Gone seem to be the days of there being a random 1st chair triangle beater or toms/timbale player spot sitting around waiting for someone who can't quite cut it.

2 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Yes. In certain areas of the country more than others but around here several scholastic groups are competing regionally.