Cavaliers Mourn The Loss Of Francis “Frank” Speciale

It is with great sadness that we share this news. Francis “Frank” Speciale, 77, Cavalier brother and longtime resident of Rosemont, passed away on December 3, 2019. Frank marched with the Chicago Cavaliers Drum & Bugle Corps in the 1950s and reconnected with the corps as a volunteer in the early 1980s. He initiated the […]

View the full article

• Sad 1

Frank was special and not just in name. So often he was bigger than life and yet in his own often quiet or colorful way.

I remember one time I was invited out to Cavies' winter camp. Adolph told me Frank would pick me up at O'Hare Airport. My plane arrived late in snowy Chicago and I walked out of the building to the appointed spot. I was used to seeing Frank in tee shirt and shorts (summer tour gear.) There he was in his police uniform with his police cruiser. He put me in the front seat (to make sure no one had the wrong idea.) But in the short ride from one side of the airport to the Rosemont school, an alarm came across the police radio about an attempted bank robbery. As Frank's was the nearest car, he turned on the siren and the bubble light and off we went. He had me cowering under the dashboard when we drove into the bank lot as he exited with a drawn gun. No shots were fired, but I didn't need any bullets.  He had much fun sharing with the corps after camp how I was cowering for a false alarm.

May St. Peter grant him a special seat in the heavenly convoy and may he have the reward of all his great deeds for the Cavies, his family, Rosemont, and so many others. We lost a very good man. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, xandandl said:

Frank was special and not just in name. So often he was bigger than life and yet in his own often quiet or colorful way.

I remember one time I was invited out to Cavies' winter camp. Adolph told me Frank would pick me up at O'Hare Airport. My plane arrived late in snowy Chicago and I walked out of the building to the appointed spot. I was used to seeing Frank in tee shirt and shorts (summer tour gear.) There he was in his police uniform with his police cruiser. He put me in the front seat (to make sure no one had the wrong idea.) But in the short ride from one side of the airport to the Rosemont school, an alarm came across the police radio about an attempted bank robbery. As Frank's was the nearest car, he turned on the siren and the bubble light and off we went. He had me cowering under the dashboard when we drove into the bank lot as he exited with a drawn gun. No shots were fired, but I didn't need any bullets.  He had much fun sharing with the corps after camp how I was cowering for a false alarm.

May St. Peter grant him a special seat in the heavenly convoy and may he have the reward of all his great deeds for the Cavies, his family, Rosemont, and so many others. We lost a very good man. 

What a great memory. Thank you for sharing.