Drums Along the Rockies, August 1, 2021 - Denver, CO

I like this "let's have the pit jam while the arc is made" trend.  

• Like 1

Just now, brassboy said:

Probably the shakiest of the three Mandarins performances this weekend. Three shows in three days with travel maybe got to them a bit. Still love the power in their sound though.

It had a shaky feel but I figured "early getting it together" stuff. Its my first read of them and you can sense the power they're building in the brass.  Still designing gaps where they're not playing, but it seems they're developing more demand in the brass now.

1 minute ago, KVG_DC said:

Ok!  Still doing their weirdness but it's a bit scaled down this year (as is everything for obvious reasons).  

I couldn't quite pick out the voice over at the end and how it might pull into more about the theme but the 'artist creating' motif is strong enough.  It has a psychological feel like Inside the Ink has but not entirely as dark.  Intense, but not necessarily dark.

Their show is based on prolific Japanese artist Yayoi Kusama, her creative process, and--more specifically--her piece "Flower Obsession." If you do a quick search on that piece, the Mandarins show elements suddenly make a LOT more sense.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

Ok!  Still doing their weirdness but it's a bit scaled down this year (as is everything for obvious reasons).  

I couldn't quite pick out the voice over at the end and how it might pull into more about the theme but the 'artist creating' motif is strong enough.  It has a psychological feel like Inside the Ink has but not entirely as dark.  Intense, but not necessarily dark.

It might be from the artist the show is based on. 

Just now, brassboy said:

Their show is based on prolific Japanese artist Yayoi Kusama, her creative process, and--more specifically--her piece "Flower Obsession." If you do a quick search on that piece, the Mandarins show elements suddenly make a LOT more sense.

YES.  Holy cow. I was "I know this style, the lines etc.  I was searching various keywords on google trying to place the artist.  

I saw her Infinity Mirrors exhibit in DC.  Absolutely stunning.

• Like 1

Yarp.  They have the stadium sound system covered in this stream much better.