Why is it so Hard to find Videos of older Shows?

99 Vanguard. Enough said?

Edited by Danny D

They're not public domain. Be grateful for the pirated versions you do have access to before they get taken down. 

To address why older shows are maybe less common on youtube and such, it's probably because the VOD era is still pretty new, and it takes effort to rip from blurays and dvds and some element of risk to post them.  And sadly, younger youtubers are probably just not interested in watching 20+ year-old dci.  Those of us who are still around from that era have our dvds and vhs, lol.  

• Like 2

Every show of every finalist since 1975 is available on DVD or BluRay. You can still get quite a few from DCI though for some years you may have to search eBay. Some of the WC corps and Open Class finals are also available though this changed after 2014 when securing broadcast rights became more costly. Individual corps also sell videos of shows.

Regarding homemade videos, there are some available but the quality varies. I am an amateur photographer and while I mostly take photos, I know a bit about video. You can’t shoot an entire show handheld and expect good quality. Many stadiums would not allow a tripod. While the quality of cameras has improved, and you can use a DSLR for videos, prior to about 2008 when Nikon and Canon began including video options for their cameras, the quality of the average video camera for the typical consumer was fine for family videos, school events, etc., but not for a large scale event such as drum corps. It was more difficult in the days of film. 

There’s also another consideration. DCI makes it very clear that recording events is prohibited.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Lance said:

And sadly, younger youtubers are probably just not interested in watching 20+ year-old dci.  Those of us who are still around from that era have our dvds and vhs, lol.  

I beg to differ: I have been involved with elementary schools in various capacities and have shown older DVD’s to younger audiences to try and get them interested in music lessons. They are fascinated with some of the 40+ videos. Granted the presentation gets them out of class. Also what fascinates them most is the 70’s style haircuts which always creates a reaction! Sorry if you marched with Kilties, Blue Devils, and Bridgemen. You’re a regular laugh riot! 🙂

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Danny D said:

99 Vanguard. Enough said?

You can get that show from dci. It’s on the Essentials-Champions II Blu Ray.

39 minutes ago, Tim K said:

I beg to differ: I have been involved with elementary schools in various capacities and have shown older DVD’s to younger audiences to try and get them interested in music lessons. They are fascinated with some of the 40+ videos. Granted the presentation gets them out of class. Also what fascinates them most is the 70’s style haircuts which always creates a reaction! Sorry if you marched with Kilties, Blue Devils, and Bridgemen. You’re a regular laugh riot! 🙂

Nice anecdote and terrific to hear.  My anecdotal experience with high school marching band students for the past 14 years is different. 

Those haircuts are pretty special.  Same with the facial hair.  

$60 and honestly the shows 

I don't already own are not worth $60

A better  explanation to why, with a Google search, 90% of shows can be found. Just to be clear, Quality video and sound. No hand held. 99 Vanguard for me is top 3. The show, from production to performance is something that should be available for all to experience. 

(Sorry didn't want to single out any one corps or year in topic listing)

Edited by Danny D

2 hours ago, Danny D said:

A better  explanation to why, with a Google search, 90% of shows can be found. Just to be clear, Quality video and sound. No hand held. 99 Vanguard for me is top 3. The show, from production to performance is something that should be available for all experience. 

And it is. You do have to pay but that is the crux of the licensing issues dci faces. Welcome to the world of Tresona.

Edited by Jurassic Lancer