The Academy 2022

12 hours ago, DrumCorpsRelic said:

Sorry and sad, your final scoring opportunity this evening in Erie, PA was washed out.  However DO Enjoy the extra rest and down time as you head to Indy. As always, Godspeed ACADEMY. I'll be with you this weekend, just let the Audience Eat Up the Confectious Creation Creation of My/Your Imagination.

scoring opportunity?  i'm not on tour.  I transitioned from teaching DCI to teaching DCA several years ago, to not teaching this season.   I'm a sideman in NYC. Trombone for hire. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Whiskey said:

Thank you for the update and finding that time to volunteer.  You all are the backbone that keeps the corps moving along.  

Question, I thought your food truck was new this year?  Did new units come with it?  

Yes, the food truck is brand new. It was delivered months late - hello supply chain problems - and there just wasn't time to do anything about it other than to get through tour and figure out what's going on this off season. 

9 hours ago, C.Holland said:

scoring opportunity?  i'm not on tour.  I transitioned from teaching DCI to teaching DCA several years ago, to not teaching this season.   I'm a sideman in NYC. Trombone for hire. 

C. Holland, I was speaking of "The Academy" Silly. How Cool for you in NYC! I LUV THE TROMBONE and ALL brass for that matter! I'm a long time Corps Percussionist.

I marched Bass Drum/24" Concert Cymbals for a BAC (not THAT One) from 1965-72.  I assume you saw The Academy's 24-Trombone features in their 2018 production of "The Bridge Between...." if not!?  It's easy to find/view on the internet.

Personally, I am a self-taught Pianist/Composer/Recording artist with my own label. Best known in Sydney, Australia my "Home away from Home" since 1997. Cheers Mate!

12 hours ago, desertrat68 said:

Yes, the problems with the refrigerated food storage did cause logistical nightmares for the corps.  (and I am sure along with other touring food trailers)

As far as dietary needs, the corps has long been providing appropriate options at every meal for those who need it. They ask every MM and (staff) well before the season starts so they can plan for it.  My family has been on the road with them in one form or another for 13 years now so I know its being done.

This is a very, very young corps and I will leave it at that.

desetrat68. THANK YOU! I so appreciated your "voice of reason." A sometimes rare find on DCP.

The refrigeration/freezer outfitted in THE ACADEMY's  New 40 foot!? 2022, $250,000. fund raised State of the Art, "Hell's Kitchen" (How Ironic it's Name!) was at the start of tour hard pressed to meet the demands caused by, IMHO what could be referred to as the 2022 "DCI Summer Tour through Hell."

It is my understanding, that the trailer was taken out of commission early on the tour for many days and sent out for refrigeration/freezer mechanical service, ( Due to it's inability to handle the immense increase of humidity Freezing up and shutting down" its systems."  (Thank goodness the Corps had at the ready it's former Food Trailer to fill in). Hopefully, as of this writing, those issues are behind them moving forward to Indy. GODSPEED ACADEMY!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, desertrat68 said:

Yes, the food truck is brand new. It was delivered months late - hello supply chain problems - and there just wasn't time to do anything about it other than to get through tour and figure out what's going on this off season. 

desertrat68: I was there with THE ACADEMY in May and painfully aware, of everyone's concern and frustration by the months of delay in the arrival of the new Food Trailer, and learning of the Refrigeration/Freezer problems.Reeking havoc from the beginning of the tour Eventually necessitating the use of it's former food trailer.

However, I was under the impression (wrongly!) that the Repaired trailer rejoined the Corps sometime prior to up to "Drums Across the Rockies. and had no knowledge that "there just wasn't time to do anything (MORE)  about it other then  to get through tour, (with it's former Food Trailer), and figure out what's going on this off season.

If that indeed this has been the case, OMG, what a Logistical Nightmare for any Corps to experience and endure on it's 8-week, 11,000 mile, 24-Coast to Coast performance schedule Tour. So Heartbreaking for the MM, and all the challenges, in addition to the incredible impact of the Covid+ virus on it's ability to field a much less then full corps and clean their awesome "My World of My Creation." BRAVO to all parties involved for their enduring character building and continuing to sustain its season of " Building Great People,weathering the storm through it's unwavering  ability to deliver "Great Performances despite all the unknown trials and tribulations, to it's very appreciative, supportive and enthusiastic and extended love and ovations throughout the Summer. BRAVO ACADEMY! and BRAVO FANS. Godspeed.

• Like 1

On 8/9/2022 at 11:55 AM, C.Holland said:

Trombone Question - Do non DCI trombone parts have as many glissandos as DCI trombone parts seem to have?

2 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Trombone Question - Do non DCI trombone parts have as many glissandos as DCI trombone parts seem to have?

NO. which seriously pisses me the $#*! off!!!!    People who don't play the horn write parts like what you hear in DCI.  Even Fred Wesley, doesnt use the gliss like that and he's FUNKY on FUNKY on FUNKY.  

You can also tell a player who uses it naturally as an accent in their playing, versus one that's trying to play it written in.  It sounds forced.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, C.Holland said:

Fred Wesley, doesnt use the gliss like that and he's FUNKY on FUNKY on FUNKY.  

I read this line three times before it sunk in you weren't talking about a certain red headed wizard. 

2 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

I read this line three times before it sunk in you weren't talking about a certain red headed wizard. 

Fred WESLEY…. Not to be confused with Ron Weasley. 

Wrong Weasley.

Fred-Weasley.Harry-Potter-Series.webp

May he Rest In Peace.    😀