Finals Scores

55 minutes ago, ironlips said:

Ability to adjust numbers (before they are submitted, using the Competition Suite program) is actually going to result in a more accurate ranking and rating.

Half tenths are absurd, I think. There are only 12 corps in finals and plenty of points to delineate them from one another. It's that "Box 5" squeeze, where every finalist believes they belong there.

If so, the threshold for entry into that "holy of holies" category must be lowered so there are enough tenths to fit in all the super-star designers and techs.

I think you are actually implying that some adjudicators are "homers". In my experience, I have sometimes come across incompetence, but not bias, at least not at the DCI Finals level.

Finals I don’t disagree when it comes to the .05 except in the rarest of occasions. 

as for homers well…. Sometimes that and incompetence are the same thing. 

I'm sure there are some who don't see their own biases.

One thing does occur to me: the DCI panel, overall, is looking pretty geriatric and there's a very real tendency for getting "set in one's ways" as we age.

Maybe there should be term limits for Drum Corps Judges.

(FYI, this does not apply in my case. I quit judging for DCI in the 80's, when I was still in my 30's.)

On 7/27/2022 at 8:13 PM, BlueStainGlass said:

Well it happened with Phantom in 08 and to be on the field when those scores were announced was crazy energy 

This, right here, kind of washes everything else away for me in this discussion.  To have the possibility of a Phantom 08, to allow for a magical connection between audience and corps for that one final run... mmmmm.