Phantom Regiment 2023

Very eager to see if what (if any) changes are made in the next week or so to really solidify themselves in either the fifth or sixth place position. Seems like the judges are very impressed with Phantom’s cleanliness, but they want a bit more in brass and visual content. I definitely think that’s doable with two weeks to go

After seeing Cadets live tonight with two DCI newbies, they both loved Phantom’s show for the awe factor, but both really talked about Cadets. I have to say, it’s a great show, and it keeps getting better. It really tugs at the heart strings. The uniforms go well with the show. It was 100° in Nashville today, and I honestly thought everyone, from the corps to the fans all seemed exhausted from the heat. Great performances across the board, I even liked Music City a lot, but I think weeks of record heat were really showing on all of them. Never seen so many hydration breaks as I did during ensemble practice. Glad to see they are being treated carefully in the heat. 

45 minutes ago, regimentlvr said:

When does everyone think we will see the final version of the show? I’m hoping there are some banners or something that wows and really crushes GE 

I would really like to see a color reveal or something at the end of the show with the tarps. The tarps are perfect for framing purposes, but they can really be taken to the next level if they changed with the show, too (although this would admittedly be SUPERRRRR difficult to do).

Generally speaking though, Phantom always likes to add in little things at the end of the season to push them over the edge (like the banners they debuted in Indy last year). I could see them doing something like that this year too

I'll never act like I know better than the judges, but man I wish I could get an explanation on the GE scores. This show has more cohesion than atleast one of the shows in the top 4, maybe two of them, and yet they're being placed in a completely different tier below the top 4 in GE

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I'll never act like I know better than the judges, but man I wish I could get an explanation on the GE scores. This show has more cohesion than atleast one of the shows in the top 4, maybe two of them, and yet they're being placed in a completely different tier below the top 4 in GE

One hypothesis is slotting a corps’ caption scores to the general area the corps as a whole is placing.

one counterexample is the Cavaliers’ percussion making a run for the Sanford as the corps fights for 8th.

but for the most part, I don’t believe judges are comfortable giving a GE score much higher than the corps is placing

example: Academy 2016, a massively fan-adored show scored 10th in GE while the corps placed 11th. This GE score is beneath Phantom’s “Voice of Promise” production.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I think it boils down to fear of appearing too subjective, since there’s already so much concern and confusion in the community about what General Effect is and isn’t. Sub-captions are easy to point to and say objectively one is better than the other. That’s a whole lot harder to do with GE. 

I agree with you though. This show just oozes GE in my eyes. Very clear concept and flow from part to part. They did edge out Crown in GE 1 rep last night, but we’re still held back by performance scores in both GE 1 and 2, placing fifth behind Cadets. I would love an explanation of repetoire vs performance scores in GE because it frankly makes no sense to me.

• Like 2

Just watched Atlanta and it reminded me how much you’re missing not seeing it live like we did last night. Nothing compares. I hate showing friends a video and saying, “This is nothing like it is is live.” They’re always, like, yeah, right. 

48 minutes ago, PRomoter said:

Just watched Atlanta and it reminded me how much you’re missing not seeing it live like we did last night. Nothing compares. I hate showing friends a video and saying, “This is nothing like it is is live.” They’re always, like, yeah, right. 

But it’s sooooo true. Completely different live. 

• Like 1