Madison Scouts 2023

On 8/22/2022 at 10:30 AM, Jeff Ream said:

the brand had a major adjustment no? And lets be honest, being Madison for the sake of being Madison wasn't working unless it was done well, which really hasn't happened since 2013. the last time they made finals was anything but Madison being Madison. Give the design team time to find their way and get their groove, especially as talent recruitment improves.

We've heard a similar story for years. Management's performance results retaining talent appears to be an issue. 😉 

On 6/28/2023 at 6:28 PM, Grandpa Joe said:

So my kid is "lower quality" because he was contracted to Madison and Bluecoats, but chose Madison because he didn't want to pay $7,000? I'll be sure to let him know that a keyboard warrior said so.

No. On average the talent in a 12 to 20th place corps is different than the talent in a top-3 corps. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Finally someone says who they would go after

Not necessarily saying that’s who I’d go after, because I don’t know the full story with his leaving Scouts/Southwind. But he had success with Phantom (again, don’t know full inner dealings there) and he’s been with Blue Devils for quite some years now. 

On 6/29/2023 at 12:24 AM, C.Holland said:

Let’s be real.  Had Scott stayed the corps would be doing exhibitions for piggly wiggly or worse, not existing.  His views were a one sided idea that everything about this activity was going poorly and that his ideas were the only way to preserve it.   

Sitting on the steps of school in the early 00’s and hearing him dismiss much of the activity, you needed to take him with a grain of salt or you’d have the same toxic mindset.  There was a point when you couldn’t hear much good from him about everything else on the field, when he needed to take a step back and look at his own choices for the corps. 

I love the guy, but his ideals were not going to be good long term. 

You missed the point. This has nothing to do with Scott running the corps. The point they were making is that the board held Scott accountable and this board isn't holding the current ED accountable. 

Edited by madisonsmiley
Typo

On 6/28/2023 at 6:39 PM, Grandpa Joe said:

Hard to not take offense to some comments being made when my child is involved. I try to stay away from this thread as much as possible, but occasionally I'll stumble in and my blood pressure skyrockets. Being a parent is hard, being a parent of a corps member when that corps is known to be hated on is extremely difficult. 

The corps isn't hated. I love the corps. I have issues with what's been happening in the front office for more than 15 years. 

Edited by madisonsmiley
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, madisonsmiley said:

You missed the point. This has nothing to do with Scott running the corps. The point they were making is that the board held Scout accountable and this board isn't holding the current ED accountable. 

Exactly right.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, madisonsmiley said:

The corps isn't hated. I love the corps. I have issues with what's been happening in the front office for more than 15 years. 

You must be new to drum corps. The Madison Scouts are NOT hated but the demise of a once powerhouse, fan-favorite, perennial threat to a title, and the epitome of masculine (females can be masculine...it's a vibe), has been a tremendous disappointment for "drum corps" fans while they have been embraced by the new "marching band" fans who have no historical perspective of Madison.

The current kids marching drum corps have never seen the Madison Scouts as anything more than a semi-finalist. That's not the kids; it's leadership. In general, the talent level of the current Madison Scouts wouldn't have been given a spot as late as the 1990s. That's not hate...it's fact.