Madison Scouts 2023

Now, that the 2022 season has ended. I am going to say something that I have held until after the season. This past season when I saw the Cadets although it was a modern type of show, before they even played a note, when you saw them, you knew who they were. You could’ve even said it about some of the other finalists such as Cavies and Troopers. Madison had a strong legacy, brand, sound/flavor and appearance when you saw them. I didn’t see that at all in the 2022 show. I heard it come thru about the last 2 minutes of the show.  One can only hope that there will be a good retention rate of performers from this year’s corps along with a higher demanding show that is creative and modern, along with more of the iconic Madison brand in it next year. It can be done because Troopers, Cadets and Cavies did it this year!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/14/2022 at 6:02 PM, bobjective said:

Now, that the 2022 season has ended. I am going to say something that I have held until after the season. This past season when I saw the Cadets although it was a modern type of show, before they even played a note, when you saw them, you knew who they were. You could’ve even said it about some of the other finalists such as Cavies and Troopers. Madison had a strong legacy, brand, sound/flavor and appearance when you saw them. I didn’t see that at all in the 2022 show. I heard it come thru about the last 2 minutes of the show.  One can only hope that there will be a good retention rate of performers from this year’s corps along with a higher demanding show that is creative and modern, along with more of the iconic Madison brand in it next year. It can be done because Troopers, Cadets and Cavies did it this year!

Organizations/companies invest a lot of time, money and effort in building their brand. It makes zero sense that almost every drum corp has abandoned their brand. Coke, Kleenex, Ford, Apple, Kraft, etc...understand this. Why don't drum corps leaders?

• Thanks 3

4 hours ago, TenHut said:

Organizations/companies invest a lot of time, money and effort in building their brand. It makes zero sense that almost every drum corp has abandoned their brand. Coke, Kleenex, Ford, Apple, Kraft, etc...understand this. Why don't drum corps leaders?

My guess is “”The pageantry leeches”. Just sayin’. I loved Madison 2021&2022 they just need time to develop. The nucleus is there.

• Like 1

My one hope is that they actually move and play at the same time.  Watching their show at Prelims and Semis, it was shocking how little matching AND playing was done.  The craziest was when they were in some boxes standing still and playing, then marched without playing, then formed the exact same box. The top corps actually did a pretty fair amount of marching and playing.  Posing and playing is just not how I like a Madison show.  Hope the staff figures things out. 

38 minutes ago, Tony L. said:

My one hope is that they actually move and play at the same time.  Watching their show at Prelims and Semis, it was shocking how little matching AND playing was done.  The craziest was when they were in some boxes standing still and playing, then marched without playing, then formed the exact same box. The top corps actually did a pretty fair amount of marching and playing.  Posing and playing is just not how I like a Madison show.  Hope the staff figures things out. 

Okay

On 8/20/2022 at 4:20 PM, TenHut said:

the brand had a major adjustment no? And lets be honest, being Madison for the sake of being Madison wasn't working unless it was done well, which really hasn't happened since 2013. the last time they made finals was anything but Madison being Madison. Give the design team time to find their way and get their groove, especially as talent recruitment improves.

• Like 3

On 8/22/2022 at 10:30 AM, Jeff Ream said:

Give the design team time to find their way and get their groove, especially as talent recruitment improves.

How long do should we give them to get their groove? They generally don't retain senior creative staff for long and I don't think the design team is the issue. I think you know that, too. They've found their niche competitively and will bounce around there if nothing changes in the front office or board room and there aren't new competitive threats that cause them to move down the ladder. Just calling it like I see it. I wish the kids the best. 

On 8/22/2022 at 11:30 AM, Jeff Ream said:

the brand had a major adjustment no? And lets be honest, being Madison for the sake of being Madison wasn't working unless it was done well, which really hasn't happened since 2013. the last time they made finals was anything but Madison being Madison. Give the design team time to find their way and get their groove, especially as talent recruitment improves.

Being Madison for the sake of being Madison indeed doesn’t work unless done well.   But if 2022 is what the future is going to look like for them, then perhaps they should find a name other than Madison Scouts.  I am not suggesting that they need to play Malagueña every year, but would it kill them to have some red & green on the uniforms?   

If they are going to be the Madison Scouts, then include some of the Madison Scout traditions; modernized if necessary.  But include them.   Otherwise, give the Madison Scouts name to history, and call it something else.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1