Time to make all electronics part of the performance?

3 hours ago, deftguy said:

Actually you can monitor it with a scanner. 

that could actually interfere with the systems performance

It's been one year since my high school season and I still remember how to plug in all the electronic stuff. Sometimes I find myself still mumbling stuff like "grab the extension, connect the black and white cords to the computer, put it in sockets 7 and 8, DON'T PRESS THE SYNTH UNTIL HE SAYS IT'S OK" 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

the bottom line is your suggestion is unworkable for a zillion reasons.

The same has been said about policing the age rule.  Checking ID is unworkable.  Filing birth certificates is unworkable.  How can you expect an SCV corps director to catch forged documents when U.S. Customs were fooled?  100% enforcement may not be possible.

But have you noticed any overage violations recently?

This activity cannot even obey basic laws, ranging from copyright to member safety/DFTK.  Yet once DCI established enforcement of the age rule and demonstrated that they were not bluffing, we now have over three decades of full compliance with the rule.  Amazing how that works.

1 minute ago, cixelsyd said:

The same has been said about policing the age rule.  Checking ID is unworkable.  Filing birth certificates is unworkable.  How can you expect an SCV corps director to catch forged documents when U.S. Customs were fooled?  100% enforcement may not be possible.

But have you noticed any overage violations recently?

This activity cannot even obey basic laws, ranging from copyright to member safety/DFTK.  Yet once DCI established enforcement of the age rule and demonstrated that they were not bluffing, we now have over three decades of full compliance with the rule.  Amazing how that works.

checking and ID or birth certificate is far easier especially with todays world than say 89. I mean hey the government let them in the the forged documents right? So thats all on SCV?

however having been an administrator and having to face these very issues you raise, you raise ideas with merits than are unworkable. remote control of the volume came because a lucky accident caught it being done several years ago in Indy. don't think DCI, DCA, WGI and every band circuit under the sun have tried to figure out ways to police it, yet not disrupt performances and #### off spectators who paid to be there....they have. Hell i have tried to weasal my way on the floor in indoor to watch and see if samples were triggered correctly given the fact WGI percussion and every circuit that follows their rules insist on individual triggers, not push a button and go. How do you do that without getting in the way of the performers?? well, you really can't.

at some point you have to trust the groups to follow the rules. in this case, the rules are kind of lax, but it's been years since anyone has made accusations of the rules being broken.

Alright, I'll bite.  

I'm a HS Band Director.  I train my kids to become audio engineers, then they run the live sound.  I run it like an apprenticeship.  I start some kids in my middle school Music Technology class, then pick one or two to work under my high schooler "pro".  They run it together. 

I also started a non-profit (StreetWise Studios, Inc.) which will one day have the capacity to start this kind of program in schools across America to solve the exact problem the OP presents.   Don't know how we'll get there yet (lol) but one step at a time.  🙂  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ranintothedoor said:

Alright, I'll bite.  

I'm a HS Band Director.  I train my kids to become audio engineers, then they run the live sound.  I run it like an apprenticeship.  I start some kids in my middle school Music Technology class, then pick one or two to work under my high schooler "pro".  They run it together. 

I also started a non-profit (StreetWise Studios, Inc.) which will one day have the capacity to start this kind of program in schools across America to solve the exact problem the OP presents.   Don't know how we'll get there yet (lol) but one step at a time.  🙂  

Outstanding!

I wish you the greatest success.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ranintothedoor said:

Alright, I'll bite.  

however, to do it in drum corps, to be a member, you have to pay the fees. not sure how many kids will want to pay $5000+ to do it

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Now that you said that, I think we are essentially in agreement.

and trust me...someone will always try to push the boundaries. its human ( and drum corps) nature

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

however, to do it in drum corps, to be a member, you have to pay the fees. not sure how many kids will want to pay $5000+ to do it

An interesting point. What does the member get for $5K tuition?

- the opportunity to perform for large audiences, on various instruments and implements

- excellent training which may pay off professionally

A person could say, "I was a (dancer, synth, trombone...etc.) in a top 12 drum corps". This can lead to some fine future opportunities.

So, would that not also apply to someone who mixed live sound for  a similarly successful corps for a season or two, at large stadium venues? Would that be worth the tuition?

• Like 1