2023 Blue Stars

3 minutes ago, DCI-86 said:

What I don’t understand is they have had all season to make changes and fix some of the design and performance issues but out of the World class corps, BS seem to have made the least changes (implying the staff believed it was good design).  It also seems out of all World class corps they have improved the least. Hence why many of us believed they were fighting for 5-8th at the start of the season but now are sitting in 11th with 12th place breathing down their necks!

Would love to know what had happened! 

Well from what I recall in 2015 when this happened was judges don't really have anything to say that can make it better and the ways to make it better are almost complete rewrites. They came out strong with a great blue print but it didn't change while others did. They also had the most shows all season I believe and feedback is great when something works but can only do so much when it isn't. I still love the show and risk and if you gave this design to BD or Bluecoats it wins. 

But I can tell you that the members are being taken care of really well and apparently DCI does a survey every year about experience and last year they were #2. So I don't expect a firing squad if that's what you're into but a better designed product to make up what this didn't. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Section scores are good - design sections are bad. Judges don't like it but give credit to members for performing it well. It's exactly a it didn't work let's fix the problem next year. It's sideshow part 2 not 2012. 

2015's Sideshow was a slopshow. That was a visual and musical hot mess! 
The issue is, when is the design team (individual *wink, wink*) going to learn? The corps has been down this road numerous times. Take a step in the right direction and then fall way back and have to start the rebuilding process all over again. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Well from what I recall in 2015 when this happened was judges don't really have anything to say that can make it better and the ways to make it better are almost complete rewrites. They came out strong with a great blue print but it didn't change while others did. They also had the most shows all season I believe and feedback is great when something works but can only do so much when it isn't. I still love the show and risk and if you gave this design to BD or Bluecoats it wins. 

But I can tell you that the members are being taken care of really well and apparently DCI does a survey every year about experience and last year they were #2. So I don't expect a firing squad if that's what you're into but a better designed product to make up what this didn't. 

I definitely don’t expect/or think there will be a firing squad and that wouldn’t be a smart move. More likely some soul searching and better planning for 2024 

1 hour ago, DCI-86 said:

I definitely don’t expect/or think there will be a firing squad and that wouldn’t be a smart move. More likely some soul searching and better planning for 2024 

I think less shows will also help. Can't change things if you constantly have shows and lose more time traveling to show sites. 

But I'll say it again Brad Furlano and Brad Harris make sure the members have a great experience and they are some of the greatest people I have ever met. They run a world class organization and I appreciate the hell out of them. 

• Like 4

Just now, BlueStainGlass said:

I think less shows will also help. Can't change things if you constantly have shows and lose more time traveling to show sites. 

But I'll say it again Brad Furlano and Brad Harris make sure the members have a great experience and they are some of the greatest people I have ever met. They run a world class organization and I appreciate the hell out of them. 

I suspect doing lots of shows helps contribute to their finances. I know they are one of the few corps who operate in the black. But you are right, having no time to make changes because your doing shows so often, definitely hasnt helped. 

My hope is they clean. The brass gets let off the leash, the percussion gets cleaner as the new quad players get more comfortable and the guard waters some of their book down and achieves much better (esp indoors - have you noticed how much larger BS’ silks are compared to regular silks? So indoors will def help!). 

If the guard gets clean and the percussion is top 12(!) it may well save the day! 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, DCI-86 said:

My hope is they clean. The brass gets let off the leash, the percussion gets cleaner as the new quad players get more comfortable and the guard waters some of their book down and achieves much better (esp indoors - have you noticed how much larger BS’ silks are compared to regular silks? So indoors will def help!). 

If the guard gets clean and the percussion is top 12(!) it may well save the day! 

Well depends who the judges are for finals week. Julie Davila has scored lower than almost every other perc judge. 

22 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

My one request if they change anything for next week. Paint the straws white. Only has to make it through 3 shows on turf and could make the straw idea clearer. And maybe unleash the brass more 😈

And paint the sugar cubes with pearlescent glitter paint. 

I like the white paint idea for the straws, but I think that a gold/brass color would work since more fancy absinthe rituals use a brass dripping contraption with a ice water tank on top.

2 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

And paint the sugar cubes with pearlescent glitter paint. 

I like the white paint idea for the straws, but I think that a gold/brass color would work since more fancy absinthe rituals use a brass dripping contraption with a ice water tank on top.

I'm just going for making sense to your non drinkers 😅

• Like 1