2023 Blue Stars

50 minutes ago, corps8294 said:

The Blue Stars show is as flat as a six pack of stale Olympia. While other corps have numerous impact points, the Blue Stars do not. I was going to wait until Sunday to call everything out; but why hold back. The 2023 Blue Stars are more disappointing than 2011.
*The talent that came into this year's corps wasn't that as great as the others in the Top 12. It was just good enough to keep them in finals. 
*This show was so poorly thought out and it seemed like they threw in the towel after the first regional. 
*General Effect was terrible. Where in the Hades were the impact points? 
*The drumline failed to materialize as an improved caption.
*The hornline was overrated save for the very talented baritone soloist (Good for him, too! He was amazing!)
•The guard book was overwritten for the talent they had. It never really cleaned up and just seemed like busy work for a content score. 
•The marching was quite sloppy as well. 
Overall, while all the other corps stepped it up and moved up; the Blue Stars failed in all areas of show design and instruction. 
The only saving grace I can give the Blue Stars is the member experience. It's been mentioned that the corps treats and takes care of the members very well and I agree with that assessment. 

I say this as someone who is also very disappointed with Blue Stars' design this year: Taking public shots at members' talent is beneath any parent, alum, or fan of this corps or the activity. The adults are paid to do this, so go off about the lack of impact points - I agree. But the kids? Shame on you.

Edit: And, for what it's worth, not only is it beneath you - you're also dead effing wrong. This might be the most talented Blue Stars we've ever seen.

Edited by Phan_of_Drumming
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, Phan_of_Drumming said:

I say this as someone who is also very disappointed with Blue Stars' design this year: Taking public shots at members' talent is beneath any parent, alum, or fan of this corps or the activity. The adults are paid to do this, so go off about the lack of impact points - I agree. But the kids? Shame on you.

Edit: And, for what it's worth, not only is it beneath you - you're also dead effing wrong. This might be the most talented Blue Stars we've ever seen.

Am I disappointed in the competitive success? Yes. But #### these kids are talented and I wish I could do what they are doing. I will always be proud of this organization and it's members because they embody what FCO stands for. Nothing in FCO talks about placement and everything I was taught was putting my best into everything I could and being the best person, member, and friend I could be. None of the people I marched with are posting about placements right now but are sharing how excited they are to see this amazing group of members and cheer as loud as possible for them. 

Whatever happens tomorrow I am #### proud to be a blue star and can't wait to see what year 60 brings for the members and alumni.

💙🌹

• Thanks 2

I just wanted to drop in and say I immensely enjoyed this year’s show. In fact, I’ve listened to the show several times today. The music really grabs me. It just makes me feel…satisfied.

So I’m grateful to the performers AND the designers for coming up with and executing this show. Thank you!

• Like 2

That's good to hear.  Can't wait to see what they do next season.

• Like 1

On 8/26/2023 at 12:34 PM, BlueStainGlass said:

Not that anyone cares but looks like a lot of vets are looking to come back and alot of Music City members auditioning for 2024. Doesn't look like the down year is affecting the auditions 💙

This makes me very happy. Blue Stars are in excellent drum corps, and having the ambition to do some thing unique and cutting edge should be lauded. I am confident they will learn from what did not go well in the 2023 season and come back stronger.